Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Aimee Mann - Little Boxes - Non-Album Tracks (2010-2012)

Here is the next in my line of stray tracks albums for Aimee Mann. I find her musical output to be of a high quality, and very consistent. So this is more of the same good stuff from her.

The first three songs are originals that have never appeared on an album. That's also the case with the bonus track, "Conflicted," which is only a bonus track due to sound quality issues. Apparently, these songs were meant for a musical based on her "The Forgotten Arm" album, but it never came to fruition.

Some of the remaining songs are covers: "Jealous Guy," The Hissing of Summer Lawns," Free Man in Paris," and "Little Boxes." I believe all the rest are originals. "No More Amsterdam" is a collaboration with "guitar hero" Steve Vai that works surprisingly well and doesn't sound like Vai's typical stuff.

Two of the songs have been drastically edited: "Two Horses" and "Little Boxes." In both cases, Mann did the songs for TV shows, and they only needed a minute or less of music. So, for both of them, I edited them to repeat the entire song. That leaves them still on the short side, but they sound more like complete songs now.

This album is 41 minutes long, not including the bonus track.

01 Easy to Die (Aimee Mann)
02 Eiffel Tower (Aimee Mann)
03 You've Got to be Willing to Hurt the One You Love (Aimee Mann)
04 Jealous Guy (Aimee Mann)
05 The Hissing of Summer Lawns (Aimee Mann with Herbie Hancock)
06 Free Man in Paris (Aimee Mann)
07 No More Amsterdam (Steve Vai & Aimee Mann)
08 Brother's Keeper (Aimee Mann)
09 Mea Culpa (Aimee Mann)
10 Two Horses [Edit] (Aimee Mann)
11 Bigger than Love (Aimee Mann & Benjamin Gibbard)
12 Little Boxes [Edit] (Aimee Mann)

Conflicted (Aimee Mann)

https://www.imagenetz.de/goRxn

For the cover art, I decided to adopt a literal approach to the album title. The song it is based on, "Little Boxes," was written by Malvina Reynolds in the 1960s after seeing the suburban tract housing of Daly City, near San Francisco. So I've used a photo of a Daly City neighborhood.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I'd love to hear these! Most are unknown for me. Zippyshare doesn't seem to work for me, "forbidden" comes up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there an alternate download option? All I'm getting from the Zippyshare site is spam and malware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Swanee if you're still looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I got it a while back and put it on the "Can't You Tell" stray tracks album. But you reminded me to change the text of my write-up here to delete mention of that song, so I just did that.

      Delete