Sunday, February 23, 2020

David Bowie - BBC Sessions, Volume 5: 1972-1973

Here's the next album of David Bowie performing at the BBC, though I have to admit there isn't that much actual BBC material this time around. But I use this series to include his other TV or radio appearances. It's just that the vast majority in his early career were with the BBC, so it's easiest to call the series that. But after 1972 he didn't appear on BBC radio for the rest of the 1970s, though he did occasionally still appear on BBC TV shows. So for this and the next album in this series, actually a majority of the music is not from the BBC.

Six of the songs here come from live concerts. Two of those live versions are bonus tracks to a deluxe edition of the "Aladdin Sane" album. They don't really fit the format of this series. but I wanted to put them somewhere in my music collection and this was the best fit. Four more are from the "Ziggy Stardust" movie. Personally, I'm not a fan of that soundtrack, since the audio and the performance aren't that good. I think his 1972 Santa Monica concert, which has been officially released, is much better. But I included a few songs here that generally come from the "Aladdin Sane" album and weren't performed at the Santa Monica show.

I also haven't included any songs from the "1980 Floor Show," a 1973 TV special starring David Bowie. That's because there's enough from that show to make up an album, which I will post at a later date.

I have "Life on Mars" as a bonus track simply because that's the second of two versions here.

This album is 48 minutes long, not including the bonus track.

01 Andy Warhol (David Bowie)
02 Lady Stardust (David Bowie)
03 Rock 'n' Roll Suicide (David Bowie)
04 Life on Mars (David Bowie)
05 Drive-In Saturday (David Bowie)
06 My Death (David Bowie)
07 Cracked Actor (David Bowie)
08 Time (David Bowie)
09 The Width of a Circle (David Bowie)
10 Watch That Man (David Bowie)
11 The Jean Genie (David Bowie)

Life on Mars (David Bowie)

https://www.imagenetz.de/aZMHs

The cover photo comes from one of his 1972 or 1973 concerts, but I don't know which one.

1 comment: