Monday, February 17, 2020

John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers with Peter Green - The Marquee Club, London, Britain, 4-27-1967

As I've mentioned in this blog before, I'm not a big fan of John Mayall's singing. The reason I've posting this is 100% due to the lead guitar playing of Peter Green. His guitar was simply on fire here.

This was recorded while Peter Green was still part of John Mayall and the Bluebreakers. For a few months in early 1967, including when this was recorded, there were only four members of the Bluesbreakers: John Mayall, Peter Green, Mick Fleetwood, and John McVie. Green, Fleetwood, and McVie all left to form Fleetwood Mac. So this is basically early Fleetwood Mac, except with Mayall doing all the singing

All the songs come from two official live albums, "Live in 1967" and "Live in 1967, Volume 2." These came about being a big fan recorded a handful of the band's concerts in early 1967 using a reel-to-reel machine, while standing right in front of the stage. This was done with full knowledge of the band, and they listened to the playbacks after each concert was over. So even though it was only an audience bootleg originally, it has much better sound than typical recordings from that era.

Decades later, Mayall bought the rights to the bootlegs and released the highlights as the two official albums mentioned above. There's no between song banter or even audience reaction at the ends of songs. But other than that, it sounds very good, in my opinion, with no crowd noise to speak of while the songs are playing.

 One issue I have with the two live albums is that the songs are from five different concerts, but are not in any apparent order. I've selected the songs that are from just one of those shows, the Marquee Club, because the sound quality is slightly better for that show and there are more songs than for the other shows. This makes up a 45 minute long album. The emphasis is on Green's guitar soloing, with just a minimum amount of vocals and harmonica from Mayall.

I did enough research to get the song order correct. However, I'm missing some songs. I've found a few extra unreleased songs that were recorded by this fan and have been posted on YouTube, but none of them happen to be from the Marquee show. I've heard that the complete recordings for all five shows are out there. For this show, there are about 10 to 15 more minutes of music. If anyone has that extra stuff, please let me know! I could post more from the other concerts, but I'd rather wait first to see if more of the songs show up.

By the way, the version of "Double Trouble" here, from "Live in 1967, Volume 2," is exactly the same as the version from "Live in 1967," which was supposedly recorded at the Manor House a week later. Based on my limited research, I think this version was recorded here, at the Marquee Club.

Also note that some versions of the official live albums call the instrumental "Greeny" by the name "Four Million Knobs." I don't know why that is, but it's the exact same song, and "Greeny" is the name used on the studio album version.

01 Tears in My Eyes (John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers with Peter Green)
02 Streamline (John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers with Peter Green)
03 The Stumble [Instrumental] (John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers with Peter Green)
04 So Many Roads (John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers with Peter Green)
05 Ridin' on the L & N (John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers with Peter Green)
06 Talk to Your Daughter (John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers with Peter Green)
07 Greeny [Instrumental] (John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers with Peter Green)
08 Double Trouble (John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers with Peter Green)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15291490/FleetwodMc_1967b_PetrGreenwthJhnMayalltheBluesbreakrsMrqueeClubLondnBritain__4-27-1967_atse.zip.html

The photo of Peter Green used for the cover art doesn't come from this exact show. However, it comes from a concert at the Manor House, also in London, just one week later. Due to my usual distaste for black and white photos, I colorized it.

5 comments:

  1. I recently read John's biography, it only goes through the mid '70s. It reignited my enjoyment of Mayall's music. I didn't like his vocals at first, but have grown to accept them for what they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, when it comes to the blues, the more your voice can sound like Howlin' Wolf's, the better. Mayall's sounds nothing like that. I don't hate his vocals, but they're just okay for that kind of music.

      Delete
  2. Thanks a lot for sharing, Peter Green had such a partoicular tone and phrasing which place him apart from all others british soloist and I love his voice even so people tend to minimise this aspect of his immense talent !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. And I agree, his vocals are a big part of his appeal.

      Delete