Thursday, February 20, 2020

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Live at Woodstock - Max Yasgur's Farm, Bethel, NY, 8-18-1969

This album is a strange case. I had posted a version of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (CSNY) playing at the famous 1969 Woodstock festival. In 2019, their performance was officially released, so I took the album down. But now I'm thinking I was hasty. Although it has been officially released, it's only been as part of a massive box set, containing 35 CDs, and even then it was a limited release that has already run out. So I've changed my mind and I'm posting it here again.

One reason I'm posting it is because it's such a great performance, and there aren't a lot of good alternatives. I'm a very big CSN(Y) fan. I like all their stuff, even from their later years. But I also think that they were at their very best right at the beginning, in late 1969, just after Neil Young joined up. At that point, they were thrilled to be playing with each other, and it showed. (CSNY only played  in Chicago two nights earlier, and CSN never played in public before Young joined, so this was about as brand news as it could get.) It wasn't long before drugs and ego got in the way. Even by 1970, the situation changed dramatically and they were torn apart for the first time (though definitely not the last!).

The problem is, if you look at CSNY's live recordings in 1969, there isn't much with excellent sound quality. There's one bootleg floating around that had to stitch together parts of three different concerts to try to make up one good concert. CSNY's Woodstock performance not only is historic and justifiably famous, but it's the only full concert recording of them at their peak with top sound quality.

Since I'm using the version released in 2019, the recording is flawless. It has some performances from the concert never available before, even on bootleg, such as the rare Neil Young song "Wonderin'" and the "49 Bye-Byes" finale. All I did was break the between song banter into their own tracks, and boost the volume on some of the quieter comments.

The concert is split in two in two different ways. The first half is without Neil Young, since CSN mostly play songs from their 1969 album that Young wasn't a part of. The first half is also acoustic, while the second half is electric. But the Young-less and acoustic portions aren't exactly the same, because Young did play on the last three songs of the acoustic set.

This recording is an hour and ten minutes long. That's not as long as their typical concerts of the time, which were an hour and a half or longer. But it's not far off. And, as I said, in terms of sound quality, it towers over all their other publicly available 1969 recordings.

01 talk (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
02 Suite- Judy Blue Eyes (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
03 talk (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
04 Blackbird (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
05 talk (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
06 Helplessly Hoping (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
07 talk (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
08 Guinnevere (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
09 talk (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
10 Marrakesh Express (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
11 talk (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
12 4 + 20 (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
13 talk (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
14 Mr. Soul (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
15 talk (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
16 Wonderin' (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
17 talk (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
18 You Don't Have to Cry (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
19 talk (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
20 Pre-Road Downs (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
21 talk (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
22 Long Time Gone (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
23 talk (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
24 Bluebird Revisited (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
25 talk (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
26 Sea of Madness (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
27 talk (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
28 Wooden Ships (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
29 talk (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
30 Find the Cost of Freedom (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
31 talk (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
32 49 Bye-Byes (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15100799/CrosbSNY_1969_LivatWoodstck__8-18-1969_atse.zip.html

There are lots of photos of CSN playing at Woodstock, but almost none of CSNY at Woodstock. This is because Young didn't want to be filmed at the concert, for whatever reason. I've only been able to find one good photo of the four of them at the concert, which is the one I've used. Using Photoshop, I moved Stills a few feet closer to the three others, so I could zoom in more on all four.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks. I was thinking you were a bit hasty in the take down as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "limited edition" cover art states a date of July 18th as opposed to the August date in the title. Much appreciation to you and this ever generous site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a LOT for pointing that out. I just fixed the pic.

      Delete
  3. I've got a pretty good live recording from Balboa Stadium in San Diego on 12/21/69. Only 72 minutes long. Most likely an afternoon festival with other bands. But a few technical issues mar the show. Monitor feedback etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that tip. I just found a version that's 70 minutes long, so I'll check that out.

      Delete
  4. I have been following music blogs since 2010 and wondering how I never came across yours. Now, I am hastily making up time. I was searching the links when I cam across this. I listened to the full 72 minutes. This CSNY post is so dear to me that I had to write to say thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    From melbourne Australia. How can I get this CD love CSN&Y
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks very much man,didnt want all 35 cd,s just this gem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what an incredible amount of work you,ve done here paul!
    congrats man..superb work.my private blog has been going since january and my passion is jazz fusion and soul(the real stuff!)rare soul also.so i,m aware of the work involved as i,m the same as yourself with research etc..i Also like The Fleet fox,s ..we all know where they got their inspiration from..CSNY..i,m sure...stay safe man.

    music-is-the-color.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you re-post again please looks like file is not active?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi. This is awesome. Thanks so much for sharing. You blog is fantastic! I managed to piece together "Human Highway" as well. My version is based on this Rolling Stone article (https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/csny-human-highway-album-1091115/) and is a bit different from yours. I used officially released versions so the sound is pristine. Reply to this comment and I'll get you a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why don't you paste in your song list, or song lists? I say "song lists" because there's so much material I find it hard to see how you could have made just one normal sized album. That's why I made three.

      Delete
  10. I'm so happy to finally get this. I was considering paying a hefty fee for that box set just to get this set

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanx for this... If anyone wants lossless, there is a nice "Full" version of this by "Pink" in Flac...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually there are several soundboards from 1969, along with a few good auds out there. https://www.discogs.com/release/22500188-Crosby-Stills-Nash-Young-with-Dallas-Taylor-Greg-Reeves-The-1969-Live-Recordings

    ReplyDelete