Friday, May 26, 2023

The Soft Boys - The Astoria, London, Britain, 1-13-1994

I recently commented here that I hadn't posted enough (a.k.a. any) live albums from the Soft Boys, so here's concert from them. The Soft Boys, Robyn Hitchcock's first band, broke in 1981. But they've reunited occasionally since then. This was part of a very brief reunion in 1994 to help promote the release of a best of compilation called "1976-81."

This was officially released, so the sound quality is great. But I'm posting it because it's long out of print. In fact, it was only ever released on cassette in a limited way. I don't even think anyone makes new cassettes anymore.

Although Hitchcock went on to have success with a solo career between 1981 and the year of this concert, 1994, this was strictly a reunion concert, with all the original members. Only Soft Boys songs were played. It's really nice to have this, because there are so few Soft Boys recordings from their main time together with this level of sound quality.

This album is 54 minutes long. I suspect this is edited down, especially since there's almost no banter between songs.

01 Wey Wey Hep Uh Hole (Soft Boys)
02 The Face of Death (Soft Boys)
03 Queen of Eyes (Soft Boys)
04 The Pigworker (Soft Boys)
05 Underwater Moonlight (Soft Boys)
06 Old Pervert (Soft Boys)
07 Hear My Brane (Soft Boys)
08 Where Are the Prawns (Soft Boys)
09 Insanely Jealous (Soft Boys)
10 Kingdom of Love (Soft Boys)
11 talk (Soft Boys)
12 Give It to the Soft Boys (Soft Boys)
13 Only the Stones Remain (Soft Boys)
14 Zipper in My Spine (Soft Boys)
15 talk (Soft Boys)
16 I Wanna Destroy You (Soft Boys)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15274766/TSoftBys_1994_AstriaLondnBritain__1-13-1994_atse.zip.html

The original cover was a weird doodle by Hitchcock. But I found this nice image of a ticket from the exact concert here, so I decided to use that instead.

1 comment:

  1. Nice one! I saw this tour in Norwich and they were fantastic.

    ReplyDelete