Monday, May 29, 2023

Morgan James - Acoustic Cover Songs, Volume 7, 2020-2022

It's been a while since I've posted any albums by Morgan James, but I'm back with more. I'm glad to see from the download numbers that a lot of people appreciate her considerable vocal talents.

This is another album consisting entirely of cover versions done acoustically. It gets a bit confusing, because I first posted six albums of her acoustic covers from the years 1994 to 2020. Then, in 2020, due to being stuck at home thanks to the Covid pandemic, she did 100 covers in a row, which she called the Quanatunes series. I posted seven albums of that. This picks up where that left off, back to more acoustic covers that aren't specifically part of that Quarantunes series.

There's not much to say here that I didn't say with earlier volumes. Although I'll note that she was especially bold with her song selection this time, covering some of the most iconic songs of all time, including "Layla" and "Stairway to Heaven!" It's interesting to hear songs like that backed only by a single acoustic guitar.

I almost didn't include "Son of a Preacher Man," because it had some big problems. The song broke down in the middle, as she and her guitarist, her husband Doug Wamble, forgot how the bridge went. However, I did some heavy editing that snipped out the problem area. There still are some bits of Wamble talking that I don't like, but I couldn't remove them because it overlapped with her singing. The song also was cut off right at the end, but I found a way to patch in a final guitar strum to give it a decent finish. All of that is why the song has "[Edit]" in the title. 

By the way, I'm most of the way to having a Volume 8, but I'm still a few songs short.

This album is 47 minutes long.

Here's a list of the original artists for each song:

01 Chain of Fools - Aretha Franklin
02 Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
03 The Dark End of the Street - James Carr
04 The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
05 With or Without You - U2
06 Son of a Preacher Man [Edit] - Dusty Springfield
07 Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd
08 Gethsemane - Jesus Christ Superstar Soundtrack
09 Better Man - Pearl Jam
10 Layla - Derek & the Dominos
11 Wild Horses - Rolling Stones
12 Sweet Bitter Love - Aretha Franklin

And here's the usual song list:

01 Chain of Fools (Morgan James)
02 Stairway to Heaven (Morgan James)
03 The Dark End of the Street (Morgan James)
04 The Middle (Morgan James)
05 With or Without You (Morgan James)
06 Son of a Preacher Man [Edit] (Morgan James)
07 Simple Man (Morgan James & Nicole Zuraitis)
08 Gethsemane (Morgan James)
09 Better Man (Morgan James & Nicole Zuraitis)
10 Layla (Morgan James & Nicole Zuraitis)
11 Wild Horses (Morgan James & Nicole Zuraitis)
12 Sweet Bitter Love (Morgan James)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15282129/MorganJ_2020-2022_AcoustcCoverSongsVolume7_atse.zip.html

The cover photo is of her performing in concert outdoors in Michigan in August 2022. I found some of the background distracting, so I cleaned it up using Photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment