Friday, May 19, 2023

John Lennon - One to One Concert Rehearsal, Part 2, Butterfly Studios, New York City, 8-21-1972

Yesterday, I posted Part 1 of John Lennon's rehearsals for the One to One concert in 1972. Today, it's time for Part 2. If you like Part 1 at all, you'll definitely want Part 2.

I said most everything I wanted to say in my write-up for Part 1. A short summary is that Lennon only ever played one full-length concert in the decade of his solo career before his death in 1970, and that was the One to One concert in New York City at the end of August 1972. He rehearsed with the band Elephant's Memory for several days, and at least some of the rehearsals have been bootlegged. I've put this together from about four different bootleg sources. The sound quality was problematic at times, but my musical associate MZ made a bunch of improvements, and I made some edits too. In my opinion, it sounds pretty good now, though still not perfect.

In these rehearsals, Lennon played some of his best known solo songs at that time, and only reached back to play one Beatles song, "Come Together." I posted an unusual version of "Come Together" in Part 1. This is the more typical version. I also posted a version of "Give Peace a Chance" in Part 1 and another version here. The Part 1 version pretty much just had Lennon singing, whereas this one has a lot of group vocals. About half of the songs here are covers of hit songs from Lennon's childhood. He ultimately only did one in the concert, "Hound Dog." 

As I said in Part 1, although Lennon's wife Yoko Ono was and is an artistic and talented person, I am not a fan at all of her vocals when she's done her screaming style. So I generally didn't include the few Ono songs that were also done in these rehearsals. But I did include one in Part 1 and another one here, "We're All Water," in which I used the audio editing program UVR5 to wipe her vocals completely and treat the song like an instrumental. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I prefer it that way. There were some other instrumentals that I didn't include because they didn't sound that good to me. But I did include one here. I don't know if it had a name, so I've just called it "Blues Jam."

This album is 55 minutes long.

01 Instant Karma [We All Shine On] (John Lennon)
02 Send Me Some Lovin' (John Lennon)
03 Mother (John Lennon)
04 Caribbean (John Lennon)
05 Honey Hush (John Lennon)
06 Come Together (John Lennon)
07 Don't Be Cruel - Hound Dog (John Lennon)
08 Blues Jam [Instrumental] (John Lennon)
09 Cold Turkey (John Lennon)
10 We're All Water [Instrumental] (John Lennon)
11 Roll Over Beethoven (John Lennon)
12 Well [Baby Please Don't Go] (John Lennon)
13 Give Peace a Chance [Group Vocal Version] (John Lennon)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15246023/JohnL_1972c_OnetOneConcetRehearslPart2ButtrflyStudiosNYC__8-21-1972__atse.zip.html

The cover photo is basically the same story as the cover for Part 1. It turns out there actually are a bunch of photos of Lennon from this rehearsal. However, all of them are in black and white. So I took one that I liked and colorized it using the Palette computer program.

No comments:

Post a Comment