Thursday, May 4, 2023

King Crimson - BBC Sessions (1969-1972)

For most musical artists I post about, the problem is that not enough of their music has been officially released. For King Crimson though, the problem is the opposite. Hundreds of concerts have been officially released, so much so that it's hard to tell the good from the bad. So I'm going to post a couple of albums from 1969 that have excellent sound amidst a sea of poor sounding recordings.

This album also neatly fits into my larger BBC project, because most of it are BBC recordings. The band did two BBC studio sessions in 1969. The first three are from one and the next two are from the other. 

But, surprisingly, that's about it. I couldn't find any other BBC material for many years after that. However, I did include one more song, the last one. This one comes from an appearance on the German TV show "Beat Club" in 1972. I consider that program kind of a cousin of the BBC, because a lot of good live performances have survived thanks to that show.

The first four songs are originals that first appeared on the 1969 album "In the Court of the Crimson King." The fifth song, however, is originally by Donovan. The sixth and last song would first appear on the band's 1973 album "Larks' Tongues in Aspic."

This album is 37 minutes long.

01 21st Century Schizoid Man (King Crimson)
02 The Court of the Crimson King (King Crimson)
03 I Talk to the Wind (King Crimson)
04 Epitaph (King Crimson)
05 Get Thy Bearings (King Crimson)
06 Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part I [Instrumental] (King Crimson)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15194496/KingCrm_1969-1972_BBSessions_atse.zip.html

Boy, it is surprisingly hard to find any good photos of King Crimson in 1969. And you'd think color photography hadn't been invented yet, because they're all in black and white. I eventually found this one, of band members Greg Lake (in back) and Robert Fripp (with glasses). It was in black and white, but I used the Palatte program to colorize it.

7 comments:

  1. With the exception of Larks I, the remaining were previously released on the 2020 boxed set "The Complete 1969 Recordings". Pretty much everything from Crimson in 1969 was released on that set. It's a fantastic boxed set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, that's where I got them from. This is for people who don't want to deal with a frickkin' 26 disc box set for a single album. I also plan on posting the Chesterfield Club concert from that since it's the best sounding complete concert.

      Delete
    2. I have commented a few time on the KC forum about releasing things like this separate on CD. Nothing has come of it sadly.

      Delete
  2. HOLY SHIT I WAITED FOR ANOTHER KC ALBUM SO MUCH!!! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The image you've used for the cover is from 25 march 1970. Here you have another color one from the same day: https://www.dgmlive.com/tour-dates/80

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. Is that from their Top of the Pops appearance? I think I'll continue to use mine though, if only to put another "color" pic out there. Speaking of which, I also plan on posting the Chesterfield Jazz Club show soon. I can send you the cover I've made of that in advance, if you're interested. It's another colorized one.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, I can wait. Yes, is from Top of the Pops.

    ReplyDelete