Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Pete Townshend - Who Demos, Volume 5: 1970-1975

Here's a series that I started and then completely forgot about. But hey, no worries, I still plan to finish it off.

Pete Townshend of the Who has created lots of high-quality demos all through his music career. I've divided them into demos of songs later done by the Who, and all other songs. I've fallen behind on posting albums of his Who songs. In 1971, he recorded much for his planned rock opera "Lifehouse," which ultimately turned into the Who album "Who's Next." In 1973, the Who released another one of his big rock operas, "Quadrophenia." This album is meant be a grab-bag of all his Who demos from 1970 to 1975 that weren't part of either of those big projects. Even then, I have some stuff from those projects. The first four songs are all Lifehouse and/or Who's Next ones, but they're different demos than the ones I've put on a Lifehouse demos album. And tracks seven and eight are kind of Quadrophenia floatsam and jetsam.

As for the other songs, "Long Live Rock" ultimately appeared on the "Odds and Sods" compilation album in 1973. And tracks 9, 10, and 11 appeared on the 1975 Who album "The Who by Numbers." "Ordinary Fellow" never appeared anywhere, but apparently was considered for that album. And the last song, "Keep Me Turning," ultimately showed up on the "Rough Mix" album split between Townshend and Ronnie Lane. I'm putting that here because my albums of Townshend demos all contains songs not on his studio solo albums.

There are a lot of missing demos from this time period. For instance, it would be great to have more than just three "Who by Numbers" songs. But this is what's publicly available right now, as far as I know.

This album is 51 minutes long.

01 Behind Blue Eyes [Early Version] (Pete Townshend)
02 Going Mobile [Acoustic Mix] (Pete Townshend)
03 Baba O'Riley [Long Instrumental] (Pete Townshend)
04 Let's See Action [Nothing Is Everything] [Incomplete Acoustic Demo] (Pete Townshend)
05 Long Live Rock (Pete Townshend)
06 Recorders [Instrumental] (Pete Townshend)
07 Unused Piano Quadrophenia [Instrumental] (Pete Townshend)
08 Slip Kid (Pete Townshend)
09 Squeezebox (Pete Townshend)
10 No Way Out [However Much I Booze] (Pete Townshend)
11 Ordinary Fellow [Instrumental] (Pete Townshend)
12 Keep Me Turning (Pete Townshend)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15309039/PeteT_1970-1975_WhoDmosVolume5_atse.zip.html

The cover photo shows Townshend in his home recording studio around 1971.

7 comments:

  1. I've got tons of pete's demos...i mean tons! Let me know if you want copies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, if you have stuff I don't have yet. I've posted demos from the 1960s to 1975 (not counting Quadrophenia yet). Do you have any songs that I missed? I'm pretty sure I have everything that is publicly available, but I could be wrong.

      Delete
    2. See the Discord message I sent you.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Paul. There is no track 3 or is it just a numbering mistake? Thanks for the fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like a numbering mistake. I just fixed it.

      Delete
  3. This looks good, can't wait to listen. Are your first two volumes still available? I can't seem to find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked them up to make sure the links still work. They do.

      https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2019/10/pete-townshend-who-demos-volume-1-1964.html

      https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2019/10/pete-townshend-who-demos-volume-2-1966.html

      Delete