Friday, May 5, 2023

Paul McCartney - BBC Sessions, Volume 1: In Concert, King's Dock, Liverpool, Britain, 6-28-1990

Curiously, Paul McCartney doesn't seem to have performed for the BBC during his long career until the 2000s. Perhaps he figured he was so famous that he didn't need the extra publicity. But there is one exception, which is the concert. It was an important concert for him because he was taking part in his first concert tour since the end of the 1970s, and Liverpool was his home town. 

Before I say more, I want to share a couple of quotes about it I happened to find at the website the Paul McCartney Project. The first is from Paul's wife Linda McCartney:

"Of all the gigs I’ve played that was the greatest because of the audience. I’ve never been in a concert like it. I could feel every single human being there was totally focused and it lifted all of our lives up. Hearing Paul sing those John songs, it was magic. I love it when people are there for the thrill, the experience, the memory, nothing cynical in their attitude at all."

And the second is from Paul:

"It was the best moment of the tour for me. A homecoming which led to a lot of nerves particularly for the band, which I hadn’t even thought of till we got there. But they were all thinking, 'This guy was in The Beatles. We're not The Beatles. Where does that leave us?' Standing on the stage all day, you could see this beautiful weather coming towards us, blue sky, a lovely sunset. Great balmy evening and a crowd of 50,000. We played pretty good and the high-spot was when we played the medley tribute to John, finishing off with 'Give Peace a Chance.' We finished — and the crowd didn't. They just kept the 'All we are saying' chant going. That brought a lump to the throat. They sang it over and over. It just came looming up to us from the back until we had to kick back into it — that was one of the greatest moments of my career. It’s moments like that that make you go, God, this is it! This is why I like it!"

I thought those were interesting, and made me more excited to hear the recording. Now, as for the recording, what there is sounds excellent, as you'd expect from the BBC. But unfortunately, it's only part of the concert. Here are the songs that weren't included: "Figure of Eight," "Jet," "Band on the Run," "Let 'Em In," "Good Day Sunshine," "This One," "My Brave Face," "Live and Let Die," and "Yesterday." There is a bootleg of the full concert, but it's an audience boot with much worse sound quality. Hopefully, someday the whole thing will be made public with worthy sound quality.

Even without all those extra songs, this concert recording is still an hour and 17 minutes long, which is around the typical length for most concerts. 

The John Lennon medley ("Strawberry Fields Forever - Help - Give Peace a Chance") from this show was released as a B-side to the 1990 single "All My Trials." But everything else remains unreleased.

Oh, by the way, it turns out that I already posted the second BBC show McCartney would do, in 2005. I've renamed that one a bit, to include "BBC Sessions, Volume 2" in the title. You can get that here:

https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2018/07/paul-mccartney-chaos-and-creation-at.html

01 talk (Paul McCartney)
02 Got to Get You into My Life (Paul McCartney)
03 talk (Paul McCartney)
04 We Got Married (Paul McCartney)
05 talk (Paul McCartney)
06 The Long and Winding Road (Paul McCartney)
07 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reprise (Paul McCartney)
08 talk (Paul McCartney)
09 Can't Buy Me Love (Paul McCartney)
10 Put It There (Paul McCartney)
11 Things We Said Today - Instrumental (Paul McCartney)
12 Eleanor Rigby (Paul McCartney)
13 Back in the U. S. S. R. (Paul McCartney)
14 I Saw Her Standing There (Paul McCartney)
15 Coming Up (Paul McCartney)
16 talk (Paul McCartney)
17 Let It Be (Paul McCartney)
18 talk (Paul McCartney)
19 Strawberry Fields Forever - Help - Give Peace a Chance (Paul McCartney)
20 Hey Jude (Paul McCartney)
21 Get Back (Paul McCartney)
22 Golden Slumbers - Carry That Weight - The End (Paul McCartney)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15202999/PaulMcC_1990_BBSessionsVolum1InConcrtKingsDckLverpoolBritain__6-28-1990_atse.zip.html

The cover is a combination of things. I found an advertisement for this concert that had a black and white photo of McCartney on a yellow background. But I also found a color version of that exact same photo. So I pasted the color version in over the exact same spot as the black and white one. Then I included some of the exact lettering and coloring at the top, but moved around and resized, and added my own text at the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment