Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Al Stewart - BBC Sessions, Volume 4: In Concert, Golders Green Hippodrome, London, Britain, 6-27-1974

As I explained in my comments to Al Stewart's "BBC Sessions, Volume 3," I've completed an overhaul of Stewart's early BBC recordings. I had to redo the two albums I had previously posted in early 2022, thanks to the release of the mega-box set "The Admiralty Lights" in late 2022, which had lots of BBC material I didn't already have. 

I had previously included much of the material here on my album of early full band BBC recordings. But thanks to that box set, I now have the full concert, and with better sound quality. So I've made this separate volume. This is with a full band. I think he generally played solo acoustic up until this year, then generally played with a band from that point on.

Oddly, not everything here is from the box set. The banter before two of the songs (tracks 1 and 7) come from the unreleased version I had before. 

This is a fairly short concert, at 39 minutes. But it seems to be complete. Stewart had yet to make the big time with his 1976 hit "Year of the Cat," so I imagine the BBC didn't want to give him more air time.

01 talk (Al Stewart)
02 Soho [Needless to Say] (Al Stewart)
03 talk (Al Stewart)
04 Old Admirals (Al Stewart)
05 talk (Al Stewart)
06 Terminal Eyes - Post World War Two Blues (Al Stewart)
07 talk (Al Stewart)
08 Roads to Moscow (Al Stewart)
09 talk (Al Stewart)
10 Nostradamus (Al Stewart)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15288311/AlStwt_1974_BBSessionsVolum4InConcertGoldrsGreenHippodrmeLondnBritain__6-27-1974_atse.zip.html

The cover photo comes from a concert in London in November 1976.

2 comments:

  1. I love the song "Roads to Moscow," and remember hearing it for the first time on FM radio. His voice sounded similar to Davy Jones to my young ears, so I thought it was Davy. And thought, wow, the Monkees' lead singer has finally sunk his teeth into something with some substance. If only...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amusing. As if that would have happened. :)

      Delete