Friday, April 7, 2023

Tori Amos - BBC in Concert, Glastonbury Festival, Worthy Farm, Pilton, Britain, 6-27-1998

I have to admit that prior to putting this album, I wasn't very familiar with the music of singer-songwriter Tori Amos. But I knew of a few songs, such as "Cornflake Girl" and "God," and really liked them. So when I saw she did a concert for the BBC, I thought she'd worthy of being included in my big BBC project.

It turns out she's actually played the annual Glastonbury Festival twice, in 1998 and 2005. I couldn't find any trace of the 2005 concert. An excellent recording of the 1998 one exists though. Apparently that is due to Jools Holland devoting an entire episode of his BBC TV show to her Glastonbury performance. That has a downside though, because virtually no banter between songs was included, and only some of the applause after the songs made it. So I did my best, using what little applause there was, to pad out some more cheering.

Other than that, though, it sounds excellent. And the timing of the concert is excellent as well, since this concert took place after the release of her fourth album, "From the Choirgirl Hotel." Her first four albums are her most critically acclaimed, and also her best selling. Yet there's no official live album from this time period.

This album is 46 minutes long.

01 Precious Things (Tori Amos)
02 Cornflake Girl (Tori Amos)
03 Raspberry Swirl - Professional Widow (Tori Amos)
04 talk (Tori Amos)
05 God (Tori Amos)
06 Crucify (Tori Amos)
07 Cruel (Tori Amos)
08 Tear in Your Hand (Tori Amos)
09 The Waitress (Tori Amos)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15266776/ToriA_1998_BBC_in_Concert__Glastonbury_Festival__Worthy_Farm__Pilton__Britain__6-27-1998_atse.zip.html

The cover photo comes from this exact concert. The quality is rather low-res, but it was the best one I could find.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, I like this era of her work the most. Didn't connect as much to the more recent stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOTALLY agree on the newer stuff. It's just... different.

    ReplyDelete