Saturday, April 15, 2023

Beck - Morning Becomes Eclectic, KCRW Studios, Santa Monica, CA, 2000-2001

Beck likes to play for the Los Angeles radio station KCRW. I'd guess he performs there an average of about once every two years. I posted an album-length 1998 performance there already. He returned in 2000 and 2001. Unfortunately for the purpose of this album, he did a lot of talking with the DJ and listened to some of his favorite records. But for both shows, he did play some songs in acoustic format. Gathering all of those from both shows, I have enough for a short album.

My goal was to make an album that I would want to listen to multiple times, and then hopefully other people would want to as well. In my opinion, interviews with radio DJs are good for one or two listens, but that's about it. So I cut out nearly all of that. But I did keep the bits where Beck was introducing the songs he was playing next.

Beck played a lot of interesting songs he otherwise rarely did, especially covers, like "Go Easy," "Some Things Last a Long Time," and "Win." One song, "Nobody's Fault but My Own," was played at both appearances. I've kept both versions. But if you only want one, you can just remove the last song.

This album is 38 minutes long.

01 talk (Beck)
02 [I Heard That] Lonesome Whistle (Beck)
03 talk (Beck)
04 We Live Again (Beck)
05 talk (Beck)
06 Go Easy (Beck)
07 talk (Beck)
08 Some Things Last a Long Time (Beck)
09 Nobody's Fault but My Own (Beck)
10 talk (Beck)
11 Win (Beck)
12 Dead Melodies (Beck)
13 talk (Beck)
14 Beautiful Way [Acoustic Version] (Beck)
15 The Golden Age (Beck)
16 talk (Beck)
17 Nobody's Fault but My Own (Beck)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15123261/BeckH_2000-2001_MornngBecomesEclecticKCRWStudios__2000-2001_atse.zip.html

The cover photo comes from an appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, in February 2001.

4 comments: