Monday, April 10, 2023

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Winterland, San Francisco, CA, 4-27-1975

For a larger, rocking band like Lynyrd Skynrd, it's especially critical to have excellent sound quality for any live recording. Otherwise, one can't make out the details in the music, such as the interplay between their three lead guitarists. Unfortunately, it seems they were unlucky when it comes to having really great bootleg recordings from their heyday, so I didn't post anything from them. But I finally came across something that's worthy.

This concert was videotaped with multiple camera angles. VHS and DVD versions have existed for many years. However, the sound quality was merely okay. But recently (as I write this in 2023), much better audio has emerged. I took this from a high quality video and converted it to mp3s. In my opinion, this sounds as good or better than most of their official live albums.

There were no problems needing fixing. This is the complete show at an hour and eleven minutes.

01 Whiskey Rock 'n' Roller (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
02 I Ain't the One (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
03 The Needle and the Spoon (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
04 talk (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
05 I'm a Country Boy (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
06 talk (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
07 Gimme Three Steps (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
08 Don't Ask Me No Questions (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
09 talk (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
10 Saturday Night Special (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
11 talk (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
12 Railroad Song (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
13 talk (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
14 Call Me the Breeze (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
15 talk (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
16 Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
17 talk (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
18 On the Hunt (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
19 talk (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
20 Freebird (Lynyrd Skynyrd)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15104184/LynyrdSkd_1975_WinterlndSanFranciscoCA__4-27-1975_atse.zip.html

I could have used a screenshot from the video of this exact concert. But that has low resolution and is in black and white. Instead, I opted for a nice color photo of a different 1975 concert, at the Omni Coliseum on July 5, 1975 in Atlanta, Georgia. The band name font comes from one of their albums.

5 comments:

  1. My Friend...This might be a first. I usually completely agree with you and love your posts... but you description built me up and the listening brought me down. Is this even stereo? Yikes. I will say no more except for Skynyrd fans... here's 2 live shows that I humbly offer for your listening consideration.

    -Your Occasional cohort in crimes...
    Mike Solof

    https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/v1WJdJOvQZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Michael!
    For those who cannot spare 1.4 GIGS of space for Michael's 24 bit/96khz single show (or don't want to do so), here is the same Biscuit show in 320mp3 format (Paul's usual format for this site). If you have over age 50 ears, you likely can no longer hear the difference, especially if you worked in noisy environments, went to WAY too many loud live shows, or played in a band yourself.
    Sax and Guitar

    https://mega.nz/folder/QTgzyIjD#7aRjvAaqDjeejyhEGz-_8Q

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I tried downloading Mike's file, got to 95 percent, then my Internet connection burped and the download failed.

      Delete