Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Robyn Hitchcock - Acoustic Covers, Volume 11: 2011-2013

It feels like it's been a long time since I've posted any albums in this series, so here ya go. (It's hard for me to keep track of all the different artists and album series I've been posting. If you think I've fallen behind on anything else, please remind me.)

There's not much to say here except that if you like the other albums in this series, you'll like this. As usual, it's just Robyn Hitchcock and his acoustic guitar. Also, as usual, all the performances are unreleased. The sound quality is just fine for all the songs.

Maybe this album is a bit different in that he played some especially obscure songs. I had to look up who did the likes of "The Bed" and "Waving My Arms in the Air." But it's not surprising to see he plays Beatles and Syd Barrett songs the most, since those are two of his biggest influences.

Here's a list of the original artists for each song:

01 The Wind Cries Mary - Jimi Hendrix
02 Dear Prudence - Beatles
03 Long Black Veil - Lefty Frizzell / Band
04 Andmoreagain - Love
05 Candyman - Grateful Dead
06 All La Glory - Band
07 More than This - Roxy Music
08 Waving My Arms in the Air - Syd Barrett
09 I Never Lied to You - Syd Barrett
10 The Bed - Lou Reed
11 Because - Beatles
12 Long Gone - Syd Barrett

Here's the usual song list:

01 The Wind Cries Mary (Robyn Hitchcock)
02 Dear Prudence (Robyn Hitchcock)
03 Long Black Veil (Robyn Hitchcock)
04 Andmoreagain (Robyn Hitchcock)
05 Candyman (Robyn Hitchcock)
06 All La Glory (Robyn Hitchcock)
07 More than This (Robyn Hitchcock)
08 Waving My Arms in the Air (Robyn Hitchcock)
09 I Never Lied to You (Robyn Hitchcock)
10 The Bed (Robyn Hitchcock)
11 Because (Robyn Hitchcock)
12 Long Gone (Robyn Hitchcock) 

This album is 44 minutes long.

https://www.upload.ee/files/15274557/RobynH_2011-2013_AcousticCoversVolume11_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo features Hitchcock at the End of the Road festival in Britain in 2012.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you. I wonder if there's enough Robyn Hitchcock material for a Nick Drake covers album? The Syd Barrett one was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, no. He does so many covers that I could tons of albums like that, for the Beatles, Dylan, Roxy Music, David Bowie, Lou Reed, etc... But Nick Drake, no. I think he's only done Riverman, Way to Blue, and Pink Moon. I might have missed one or two more, but not enough for an album.

      Delete
  2. Yes, your right. I thought I'd heard him play more live but it's only one extra song that he hasn't recorded or demoed in a studio. Maybe more will appear. I hope so. Thanks

    1. Pink moon -

    Trolly bus 2

    2. Parasite -

    (VA Way to blue The songs of Nick Drake)

    3. River man -
    the man downstairs Demos and rarities

    4. Free Ride -

    https://youtu.be/oy5OfuQfRT8

    Plus an original track

    5. I saw nick drake - A Star for bram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, Nick Drake songs are really hard to play, if you want to sound good on them. Almost all of them use very strange alternate tunings. I don't think Hitchcock is a big alternate tunings guy. A few songs, like Pink Moon, can sound decent in standard tuning, but not many.

      Delete
  3. Tanks for all Robyn albums. All links are right but two : Robyn Hitchcock - Victorian Squid - Various Songs (1985) and Robyn Hitchcock - Crystal Branches - Various Songs (1984). Could you re up please ?

    Stay safe

    Franck

    q t

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I finally replaced those. I also replaced ALL Hitchcock links while I was at it, to improve the volume balance between songs.

      Delete