Friday, December 25, 2020

Beck - Angel Orensanz Centre, New York City, 10-22-2006

Beck has yet to release an official live album, which is a shame because he's a great live performer. His full band concerts are a fun party. But when it comes to live recordings, I prefer his acoustic concerts. I'm partial to acoustic music in general. But in his case, hearing his songs stripped down can be revelatory. For this concert, Beck had a handful of other musicians backing him, but they were there to add guitar solos and the like while keeping things in acoustic mode.

Unfortunately when it comes to Beck's concerts, there are very few soundboard or radio/webcast broadcast bootlegs. The few like that tend to be the full band style shows. This concert is an audience bootleg. But that's fine, because the sound quality is as good as many soundboards. Plus, he played for just over an hour and a half, with an interesting set list. Overall, I would put this in my top three best acoustic-mode concert recordings from him.

Most of the songs Beck played were originals. But he did a handful of covers: "Winter Is Blue" by Vashti Bunyan, "No Expectations" by the Rolling Stones, "Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime" by the Korgis, "Stormbringer" by John Martyn, and "You're Running Wild" by Buddy Miller. I put three of those on one of my stray tracks albums, the one I called "Timebomb."

As I often do, I boosted the volume of his banter between songs, and made those talking bits separate tracks. Since this is an audience bootleg, I also had to lower the volume of the audience clapping sometimes. But other than that, I didn't have any problems.

01 Black Tambourine (Beck)
02 talk (Beck)
03 Scarecrow (Beck)
04 talk (Beck)
05 No Complaints (Beck)
06 talk (Beck)
07 Lost Cause (Beck)
08 talk (Beck)
09 End of the Day (Beck)
10 talk (Beck)
11 Movie Theme (Beck)
12 talk (Beck)
13 We Dance Alone (Beck)
14 Think I'm in Love (Beck)
15 talk (Beck)
16 Winter Is Blue (Beck)
17 Rowboat (Beck)
18 talk (Beck)
19 Guess I'm Doing Fine (Beck)
20 No Expectations (Beck)
21 talk (Beck)
22 Cellphone's Dead (Beck)
23 Strange Apparition (Beck)
24 talk (Beck)
25 Cold Brains (Beck)
26 talk (Beck)
27 Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime (Beck)
28 Sissyneck (Beck)
29 talk (Beck)
30 Where It's At (Beck)
31 talk (Beck)
32 Stormbringer (Beck)
33 talk (Beck)
34 The Golden Age (Beck)
35 Clap Hands - One Foot in the Grave - Emergency Exit (Beck)
36 talk (Beck)
37 You're Running Wild (Beck)
38 Girl (Beck)
39 Nausea (Beck)

https://www.imagenetz.de/fLx8r

Once again, my thanks goes to PJ of his "Albums I Wish Existed" blog, since he made the cover art. The picture used is somewhat low-res, but I could tolerate it because it's from the exact concert in question.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Paul, do you know what happened to PJ's "Albums I Wish Existed" blog? It was there yesterday, but today it looks like the whole blog is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wuold like to have also this version of Play with fire, but don' works

    ReplyDelete