Sunday, December 27, 2020

Beck - Another Foot in the Grave - Non-Album Tracks (1994)

Before I talk about this album, check out my previous post about volume balance issues. In short, I was sloppy about volume balance from song to song with the albums I posted in the first year or so of this blog, and I'm belatedly trying to fix that. For starters, I just reuploaded all the Beck albums I've ever posted here to improve volume balance. So if you're a Beck fan, I suggest you redownload those.

I've been torn about posting this album, because there's so little for me to do. In 1994, Beck released the album "One Foot in the Grave." It was mostly acoustic, though it was assisted by a small band on some songs. In 2009, the album was released with bonus tracks - lots of bonus tracks. in fact, there were so many extra songs added, all recorded in 1994, that it doubled the album length, from 37 minutes to 73 minutes. 

So all I've done here is package all those bonus tracks into their own album, in the exact same order as on the official 2009 release. There seemed to be only one logical name to give this. Since the first album was "One Foot in the Grave," this has to be "Another Foot in the Grave." All those songs are of the same acoustic bent. In my opinion, 73 minutes of that is too much in one sitting. It's better to split this into two albums.

For some reason, it seems Beck didn't like these songs as much as those on the original "One Foot in the Grave." With a few exceptions, he's hardly ever played any of them live. But in my opinion, "Another Foot" is just as good as "One Foot, "or at least close to it. At the time, Beck was on a creative hot streak and was simply writing way more songs than he knew what to do with, so some got lost in the shuffle.

By the way, confusingly, the song "One Foot in the Grave" did not appear on the album "One Foot in the Grave." Instead, it was a track on another 1994 album he did, "Stereopathic Soul Manure." But that song was included also as one of the 2009 bonus tracks, so you'll find it here. 

Also, none of the songs here were released at the time, as far as I can tell, except for three: "It's All in Your Mind," "Feather in Your Cap," and "Whiskey Can Can." The first one was the A-side and the other two were the B-sides to an obscure single he released in 1995. He then did a different version of "It's All in Your Mind" for his 2002 album "Sea Change." A couple other songs here were also done by him in different versions of other releases, such as "Leave Me on the Moon" and "I Get Lonesome."

This album is 41 minutes long.

01 It's All in Your Mind (Beck)
02 Whiskey Can Can (Beck)
03 Last Night I Traded My Soul's Innermost (Beck)
04 Mattress (Beck)
05 Leave Me on the Moon (Beck)
06 Woe on Me (Beck)
07 Teenage Wastebasket [Electric Version] (Beck)
08 Your Love Is Weird (Beck)
09 Favorite Nerve (Beck)
10 Piss on the Door (Beck)
11 Close to God (Beck)
12 Sweet Satan (Beck)
13 Burning Boyfriend [Beck Will Die] (Beck)
14 Black Lake Morning [Instrumental] (Beck)
15 Feather in Your Cap (Beck)
16 One Foot in the Grave (Beck)
17 Teenage Wastebasket [Acoustic Version] (Beck)
18 I Get Lonesome [Alternate Version] (Beck)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15124575/BeckH_1994e_AnothrFootintheGrave_atse.zip.html

The gatefold artwork for "One Foot in the Grave" has some photos of Beck's band members, as well as a second one of Beck. I selected that second photo as the cover. PJ of the "Albums I Wish Existed" blog did a really excellent job on the cover, in my opinion. He found the exact same font, font color, and font design, to make this look as good as I could have imagined it. Thanks again, PJ!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this. This album has been on mind a lot lately with the death this month of Sam Jayne. He looks so young in the picture for "One foot". RIP SAM you are missed.

    ReplyDelete