Wednesday, May 27, 2020

X - My Father's Place, Roslyn, NY, 12-11-1983

I think X is a great band. Technically, I supose they're considered a punk band, but unlike most punk bands, I appreciate how they've had deep roots in older music forms, like folk and country. (This can best be seen in their alter ego band, the Knitters.) They put on a new album last month called "Alphabetland." It's their first album in 27 years. I haven't heard it yet, but it has all their original members on it, and it's been getting surprisingly good reviews. I figure that's a good excuse to post something by them.

In my opinion, the "golden age" of X was their first four albums, from 1980 to 1983. Let me quote from an allmusic.com review of one of their albums:

"X were undeniably not just one of the greatest punk bands, but one of the greatest live rock acts of all time. [But] they never issued a true live set featuring the stellar, original lineup with guitarist Billy Zoom."

Indeed. Zoom left the band (for the first time) in 1986. Their 1985 album was disappointing, where they tried for a different sound, so in my opinion the ideal time to have a live album from them would be 1983. Luckily, although no live album from that time has ever come out, there is an excellent bootleg of a concert that was played on the radio at the time, which is presented here.

That means it was professionally recorded to sound good for the radio. I didn't have to do much tweaking for this one. All I did was break was little talking there was between songs onto their own tracks, and lower the overall volume level, to put it in line with all the other albums I post on this blog.

There was one major snag with the recording in that the first song, "True Love, Part 1," fades in right as it was ending. I'm especially bummed since that's a really good song. It also suggests there could have been more of the concert that either didn't get on the radio or didn't get recorded by whoever captured the radio show. The concert is slightly less than an hour long, whereas they played well over an hour in other 1983 that are on bootleg, suggesting that a portion of the show is missing. At least we know the ending is correct, since the show finishes with a few parting comments.

I didn't want to start this off with just part of a song, so I found another bootleg from 1983 where "True Love" was played and I inserted that instead. While I was at it, I also included "Blue Spark" since that's one of my favorites of theirs, as well as a spoken introduction. I was tempted to include more, but I decided against it since the sound quality from the other show is less impressive.

If you want just one live X recording, I recommend this one, even though it's a bootleg. It beats all their official live albums, in my opinion. And it also kind of doubles as a "best of" for their early years, since they play most of their best known songs from that era.

This album is 58 minutes long.

01 talk (X)
02 Blue Spark (X)
03 True Love, Part 1 (X)
04 talk (X)
05 In This House that I Call Home (X)
06 talk (X)
07 Hungry Wolf (X)
08 talk (X)
09 The New World (X)
10 Universal Corner (X)
11 True Love, Part 2 (X)
12 Beyond and Back (X)
13 talk (X)
14 Los Angeles (X)
15 Make the Music Go Bang (X)
16 Some Other Time (X)
17 talk (X)
18 Hot House (X)
19 Soul Kitchen (X)
20 Breathless (X)
21 Johnny Hit and Run Paulene (X)
22 Motel Room in My Bed (X)
23 talk (X)
24 Poor Girl (X)
25 talk (X)
26 Devil Doll (X)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15258782/Xx_1983_My_Father_s_Place__Roslyn__NY__12-11-1983_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo is of the band performing for "American Bandstand" in October 1983. I cropped it to focus on Exene Cervenka and John Doe. They're the band leaders and lead vocalists, and the other band members were mostly hidden in the darkness.

13 comments:

  1. Clutch Cargo's just popped up in my random mix of the day today....Its very good. (1982-07-23 Clutch Cargo's, Detroit-SBD) But then I have X shows back to 79 till the datee I agree with youu about.......many are soundboards. & I found them to be consistently good live & somebody was making all those board tapes!I think they just morphed to folk-poet -Exene country-ish -Doe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you know of any particularly awesome X soundboards, please let me know.

      Delete
  2. Your zippyfile link h as never ever worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. same here: all zippyfile links seem to lead to 403 Forbidden for me. How do we actually access the music please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. works fine....its usually some countries or some malware protection, if its your malware/antivirus..try allowing an exception.... if its "your country you might try a vpn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, try a VPN (virtual private network) or access them through Soulseek, since I'm sharing all my albums there too.

      Delete
    2. How can I find you on soulseek? The zippyfiles just take me to all kinds of spam links

      Delete
    3. Just look for something obscure on this blog. For instance, if you're looking for this album, you might search for the following search terms: my place roslyn 1983. (I skipped "Fathers" because for some weird reason, apostrophes don't work well in Soulseek search terms.) Of the results who come up, my name there is "albumsthatshouldexist." Then you have an option to browse a user's files, so you can find all my other albums there.

      Delete
    4. Also, a little trick: you can avoid the Zippyshare spam if you right click on the link.

      Delete
  5. That's exactly what I did, I've been in soulseek many years. I found some other stuff recorded there. I guess I just have to catch you when you're online. Thanks man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old post I know. Anyone know where I can find this show in lossless files? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! Made my morning. Hope this reaches you.

      Delete