Thursday, May 14, 2020

Brandi Carlile - Cover Songs, Volume 5: 2017-2019

So far, I still haven't gotten much feedback on these Brandi Carlile covers albums. If you're enjoying this (and/or these sorts of covers collections in general), please give a shout out.

Anyway, I'm digging Brandi's covers. I think she has a great voice, and knows how to use it. So here's Volume 5. This one isn't very different from the others in this series. Mostly, she covers disputably classic songs, but she also throws in a couple of surprises.

One example of a lesser known choice is "Rich." Technically, it shouldn't be here, since Carlile co-wrote it with two of her band members. But I'm including it because it's a nice song, and she's never performed it except this version, which has only been available through an Internet website. She wrote it for Tanya Tucker and Tucker did it on her 2019 album "While I'm Livin'," which Carlile produced. So in that sense, one can see it as a cover of a Tanya Tucker song.

I also have to mention that not only do I appreciate Carlile's choice in cover songs, I also am impressed with her breadth of styles. How many people would cover both the "uncool" John Denver and the grunge band "Soundgarden?"

Here are the artists who did the originals:

01 I Think It's Going to Rain Today -  Randy Newman
02 Rich - Tanya Tucker (kind of!)
03 Jolene - Dolly Parton
04 Rocky Mountain High - Sunshine On My Shoulders - John Denver
05 Amazing Grace - traditional
06 Madman Across the Water - Elton John
07 Respect - Aretha Franklin
08 A Case of You - Joni Mitchell
09 Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You - traditional / Led Zeppelin
10 Down to You - Joni Mitchell
11 Do Right Woman, Do Right Man - Aretha Franklin
12 Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden

Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode

"Personal Jesus" is separated from the rest because it's only a bonus track. I downgraded it to that because I felt it was borderline in terms of sound quality. But, in contrast to some other songs that didn't make the cut, I figured it was an interesting choice in covers that some people might want to hear.

Here is the usual song list:

01 I Think It's Going to Rain Today (Brandi Carlile)
02 Rich (Brandi Carlile)
03 Jolene (Brandi Carlile)
04 Rocky Mountain High - Sunshine On My Shoulders (Brandi Carlile)
05 Amazing Grace (Brandi Carlile with the Secret Sisters)
06 Madman Across the Water (Brandi Carlile)
07 Respect (Brandi Carlile & Jim James)
08 A Case of You (Brandi Carlile)
09 Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You (Brandi Carlile)
10 Down to You (Brandi Carlile)
11 Do Right Woman, Do Right Man (Brandi Carlile)
12 Black Hole Sun (Brandi Carlile, Soundgarden & Peter Frampton)

Personal Jesus (Brandi Carlile)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16373079/BRANDCRL2017-2019CovrSongsVolum5_atse.zip.html

The cover photo comes from a concert in Austin, Texas, in 2018.

6 comments:

  1. Just keep them coming
    Agree with you about Brandi
    Hadn't heard much before but you've got me into her
    Love the blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes... these are great. Have been enjoying every one so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is magnificent and your offerings are outstanding. You already knew that, so it seemed redundant to keep pointing it out in the comments.

    Please accept a socially distanced pat on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Good stuff. I still have issues over the sound quality and request tighter quality controls (ha ha). Not just with BC , but other posts as well. Still exploring, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much - awesome stuff. And thanks for all you do here for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't visit this blog as often as I should. Thanks for this and many other "albums" that you've compiled. As David H said - keep 'em coming! Thank!

    ReplyDelete