Saturday, May 2, 2020

Shawn Colvin - Home Concerts 1, Austin, TX, 4-11-2020

Here's someone else to add to those doing nice home concerts. As I keep saying, if you know of others I've missed that you think are worthy, please let me know. It's hard to find all these, since they're happening on different social media platforms.

I'm not a huge Shawn Colvin fan like I am for, say, Rosanne Cash, but I like her well enough. This concert actually serves as good introduction for her, if you aren't that familiar with her stuff. She plays her one big hit - "Sunny Came Home" - as well as some of her other best originals. She also does a few covers, namely: "Summer's End" by John Prine, in honor of his recent passing, "For the Roses," by Joni Mitchell, and "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)" by the Talking Heads. The whole concert is 45 minutes long.

I'm optimistically calling this "Home Concerts 1" with the assumption that there will be a "2" and others to follow. Actually, I'm most of the way to a "2" already, because she's been posting individual songs every now and then since the coronavirus lockdown began. So I plan on posting those once I have enough for an album.

Note that Colvin has a reputation for being very talkative during her concerts. That was somewhat true in this case, though she seems to have edited herself for a more streamlined show. I've included her between song banter and raised the volume on it to make it easier to hear. But I think I might have edited a few parts down to make the whole thing more listenable. (I forget since I did that a week or two ago.)

01 talk (Shawn Colvin)
02 Even Here We Are (Shawn Colvin)
03 talk (Shawn Colvin)
04 Trouble (Shawn Colvin)
05 talk (Shawn Colvin)
06 Summer's End (Shawn Colvin)
07 talk (Shawn Colvin)
08 For the Roses (Shawn Colvin)
09 talk (Shawn Colvin)
10 Steady On (Shawn Colvin)
11 talk (Shawn Colvin)
12 That Don't Worry Me Now (Shawn Colvin)
13 talk (Shawn Colvin)
14 I Don't Know Why (Shawn Colvin)
15 talk (Shawn Colvin)
16 Sunny Came Home (Shawn Colvin)
17 talk (Shawn Colvin)
18 This Must Be the Place [Naive Melody] (Shawn Colvin)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15285110/ShawnC_2020_HomeConcrts1AustinTX__4-11-2020_atse.zip.html

For the album cover, I used a screenshot from the YouTube video of this very concert.

7 comments:

  1. Any chance of getting hold of Neil Young's Fireside sessions
    Also Jason Isbell did one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mentioned in a post previously that NY is doing that to encourage people to pay to join his archive website. If that's his business model, I don't want to discourage that. I'm only posting the freely available ones.

      Re: Jason Isbell, can you point me to that?

      Delete
  2. Zippyshare says this link has expired. Is there any chance you could re-up it? My wife is a big Shawn Colvin fan and we would love to hear it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul,

    Any chance of you re-uploading the two Mary Chapin Carpenter Home Concerts and this Shawn Colvin one? Love you website and visit daily! Keep up the amazing work!!!

    All the Best,

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm late to the party, but I really love Shawn Colvin. If you can find any concerts she's done with a band that included Steuart Smith (now with Eagles), I'd appreciate it. I've looked high and low. Shawn has released a couple of songs on singles with them and they are great. I think that they were with her on an Austin City Limits, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm posting here as I can't find your email addy and I don't know where else to post on your site -- hopefully you will see this. I have a Shawn Colvin concert (with backing band) that was broadcast on KFOG-FM radio on November 29, 1994, from the Warfield Theater in San Francisco. It has been my fave concert for many years...but, it's on cassette tape (I recorded directly from the radio) and I no longer have the means to play cassettes. (I have a few of these types of tapes as KFOG broadcast live concerts regularly.) Anyhow, if you are open to digitizing it for your readers -- and so that I can snag the files myself -- I'd be happy to send it to you. You can contact me at marty dot halpern at gmail dot com if you are interested. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: your request, I'm afraid I don't have the means to concert an audio cassette. (Probably like you, I gave up on cassettes a long time ago.) But maybe there's someone else here who does and would be willing to help with the conversion? If there's anyone out there, please feel free to chime in!

      The other option is there probably are professional services you can use to do it. If you do that, then I would be happy to post it here (assuming the sound quality is good).

      Delete