Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Lucinda Williams - Big Road Blues - Non-Album Tracks (1998-2000)

I recently discovered a different way to search for songs, and realized I'd missed a bunch of songs for my Lucinda Williams stray tracks collections. I'll write more about that below, but one result is that I found so many songs that I've created this new album, in addition to updating some other albums.

The songs here are a mix of songs that I've moved from other stray tracks albums as well as some new ones I found. The new ones are: "Down the Big Road Blues," "Wings of a Dove," "Wedding Bells - Let's Turn Back the Years," "Down to the Well," and "The Ship."

By the way, "Down the Big Road Blues" is a blues cover that Bonnie Raitt also did on one of her early albums, expect Raitt simply called it "Big Road." So I've added that in as an alternate title. To further confound matters, I decided to name this album "Big Road Blues" instead of the other two names. I just thought it sounded better.

Looking at this album as a whole, every song has been officially released and all of them are studio versions, so the sound quality is great. It's the usual stray tracks mix of bonus tracks, various artists compilations songs, and songs (usually duets) from other people's albums. The vast majority of the songs are cover versions.

By the way, I'm aware that the song "Lines Around Your Eyes" appeared on her 1992 album "Sweet Old World." But this version with the band Leftover Salmon has a significantly different, and more lively, arrangement, so I figured it was worth including.

01 Here in California (Lucinda Williams)
02 Down the Big Road Blues [Big Road] (Lucinda Williams)
03 Wings of a Dove (Nanci Griffith & Lucinda Williams)
04 Out of Touch (Lucinda Williams)
05 Come to Me Baby (Lucinda Williams)
06 If I Don't Know Love (Chip Taylor & Lucinda Williams)
07 Lines Around Your Eyes (Leftover Salmon & Lucinda Williams)
08 Return of the Grievous Angel (Lucinda Williams with David Crosby)
09 Love Hurts (Little Milton & Lucinda Williams)
10 Cool Blues Story (Evie Sands & Lucinda Williams)
11 Wedding Bells - Let's Turn Back the Years (John Prine & Lucinda Williams)
12 Down to the Well (Kevin Gordon & Lucinda Williams)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16376578/LUCNDWLLMS1998-2000BgRadBlus_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo comes from the New Orleans Jazz Festival in 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment