Friday, May 8, 2020

Manfred Mann - BBC Sessions, Volume 2: 1966-1969

Here's my other album of Manfred Mann's 1960s performances at the BBC. This one starts in mid-1966, when the band's lead singer Paul Jones was replaced by Mike d'Abo. It ends when the band broke up in early 1969. (The band would morph into Manfred Mann Chapter III with significantly different personnel, and then later into Manfred Mann's Earth Band after still more changes.)

I did this in the exact same way I did the first album that deals with the band's 1964 to 1966 BBC performances. Using material from the "Radio Days" official albums, I only used one version of each song. Then I also eliminated any songs that the band never did on record. As I explained in my previous post about the band, I'll be using those recordings elsewhere. So that mostly just leaves the band playing versions of their best known songs.

Also like the previous BBC album by this band, I systematically removed any instance when the BBC DJs talked over the music. Using the sound editing software X-Minus, I was able to wipe the talking completely while keeping the underlying music. Some people commented that they're fond of those DJs. If you like their talking, you still have the option of listening to them on the official "Radio Days" album. This provides an option for those who just want to hear the music. The ones I did change have "[Edit]" in the title.

Personally, I think Manfred Mann came into their own in their second phase, when Mike d'Abo was the lead singer. About half the songs here were hits, and many of the songs were written by band members. So if you like 1960s music but you've never paid much attention to the band, this is a good place to start.

This album is 46 minutes long.

01 Just like a Woman (Manfred Mann)
02 Mohair Sam (Manfred Mann)
03 Semi-Detached Suburban Mr. James (Manfred Mann)
04 Morning after the Party [Edit] (Manfred Mann)
05 Ha Ha Said the Clown (Manfred Mann)
06 Sweet Pea (Manfred Mann)
07 So Long Dad (Manfred Mann)
08 Hoochie Coochie Man [Edit] (Manfred Mann)
09 The Mighty Quinn [Quinn the Eskimo] (Manfred Mann)
10 Cubist Town [Edit] (Manfred Mann)
11 Sleepy Hollow [Edit] (Manfred Mann)
12 My Name Is Jack (Manfred Mann)
13 The Vicar's Daughter [Edit] (Manfred Mann)
14 Each and Every Day [Day Time, Night Time] [Edit] (Manfred Mann)
15 Fox on the Run (Manfred Mann)
16 Ragamuffin Man (Manfred Mann)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15157771/ManfredM_1966-1969_BBSessionsVolume2_atse.zip.html

The publicity photo I used for the cover art dates to 1967.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, as for the previous one, but I couldn't disagree with you more about the Mike d'Abo period. It was a catastrophe from the point of view of a British R&B cum proto-Soul fan ... from covering Cannonball Adderley's "Sack o' Woe" to Tommy Roe's "Sweet Pea" was a colossal and cynical fall for the band IMO. That said, I appreciate what you did with the previous package ... it's great to listen to without the BBC VO chatter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From that point of view, I understand where you're coming from. But keep in mind that musical trends were changing rapidly. By 1967, that style was effectively dead, for a couple of years, at least, as psychedelia took over. Even Paul Jones after leaving Manfred Mann switched to a different style of music. So to expect MM not to change isn't realistic.

      Delete
  2. BBC Sessions are always welcome for sixties addicts like me!
    I'm agreed with Jonathan F. King. I think the Manfreds were seeking a better commercial succes as demostrate clearly Semi-Detached Suburban and Ha Ha Said The Clown. Pure variety music.

    ReplyDelete