Saturday, May 16, 2020

KT Tunstall - Royal Albert Hall Benefit, Home Concert, Los Angeles, CA, 4-30-2020

I've owned and enjoyed KT Tunstall's 2004 debut album "Eye to the Telescope" for a long time, but I never took the time to check out her other stuff. However, I knew she's a talented songwriter with an impressive voice, so when I saw the other day that she recently did an acoustic home concert recently, I decided to give it a listen. I was so impressed that not only am I posting that concert here, but it's given me the impetus to check out her other albums.

I recommend you give this a listen as well. You probably know her from her two big hits off her debut album, "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" and "Suddenly I See." Both are undeniable classics in my opinion, and there have been too few of those in the last 20 years. But her talent runs a lot deeper than just those two songs. I suspect she's been under-promoted and mismanaged by her record company, because otherwise I can't figure why she hasn't been more successful.

Like a Richard Thompson home concert I posted recently, this was done as part of a benefit for the Royal Albert Hall in London, due to that venue running into financial trouble caused by the economic fallout of the coronavirus epidemic. But Tunstall recorded her concert from her home in Los Angeles. All the songs are originals, including one song, "Anything at All," that she hasn't released yet and had never played in public before.

Although all the songs are originals, in order to sweeten the pot for those of you who aren't that familiar with her music, I've added cover versions at the very beginning and the end. She did "I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5 and "I Won't Back Down" by Tom Petty as one-off performances in the days around this concert, so I think they fit in pretty well. I moved her final few seconds of comments after the last song of the concert to after the song added at the end, to give the impression that it was all one show.

The concert is an hour and four minutes long, if you include the two added songs. She has a lot of lively banter between songs. I've kept nearly all of it, though I did edit it a bit here and there to tighten things up, removing guitar tuning and dead air and the like.

01 talk (KT Tunstall)
02 I Want You Back (KT Tunstall)
03 talk (KT Tunstall)
04 Heal Over (KT Tunstall)
05 talk (KT Tunstall)
06 Backlash and Vinegar (KT Tunstall)
07 talk (KT Tunstall)
08 Other Side of the World (KT Tunstall)
09 talk (KT Tunstall)
10 Another Place to Fall (KT Tunstall)
11 talk (KT Tunstall)
12 Feel It All (KT Tunstall)
13 talk (KT Tunstall)
14 Black Horse and the Cherry Tree (KT Tunstall)
15 talk (KT Tunstall)
16 Anything at All (KT Tunstall)
17 talk (KT Tunstall)
18 If Only (KT Tunstall)
19 talk (KT Tunstall)
20 On My Star (KT Tunstall)
21 talk (KT Tunstall)
22 The River (KT Tunstall)
23 talk (KT Tunstall)
24 Invisible Empire (KT Tunstall)
25 talk (KT Tunstall)
26 Stoppin' the Love (KT Tunstall)
27 talk (KT Tunstall)
28 Suddenly I See (KT Tunstall)
29 talk (KT Tunstall)
30 I Won't Back Down (KT Tunstall)
31 talk (KT Tunstall)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15603143/KTTnstl_2020a_RoyalAlbrtHllBenefitHomConcrt_LsAnglesCA__4-30-2020_atse.zip.html

The cover art is a screenshot from the concert in question. For most of the concert, her face was covered in shadow due to the brim of her hat. I chose one of the few moments her head was tilted back so her face was well lighted.

15 comments:

  1. Holy hell, it's already been fifteen years, huh.

    I have the first two albums, the second one is also pretty good. Then she kind of disappeared from public conscience, mine included. Have to give a spin to those discs sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an absolutely fabulous show and I'm thrilled to have a copy. She remains a great live performer; I highly recommend catching a show if she's in your area (when we actually start having concerts again).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I happened upon your blog. It was purely serendipity, but, as a fan of cover songs, you have certainly provided me with a ton of interesting stuff. Since you mentioned KT Tunstall, here is a partial list of covers she's performed (I may still have all of them - can't say for certain because, somewhere along the line, as happens to most everyone, I suspect, I had a hard drive meltdown). Here they are:
    Get Ur Freak On
    Golden Age
    My Doorbell
    I Want You Back
    The Prayer
    Let's Stick Together
    Darkness On The Face Of The Earth
    Fake Plastic Trees
    2000 Miles
    Walk Like An Egyptian
    Because The Night
    Night And Day
    Tangled Up In Blue
    The Boys Of Summer
    You Make Loving Fun
    State Trooper
    Don't You (Forget About Me)
    Second Hand News
    I Won't Back Dowm
    Ain't Nobody
    Should I Stay Or Should I Go
    Fairytale Of New York (with Ed Harcourt)

    There are probably more. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that idea. Great minds think alike, because after hearing her home concert, I was so impressed that I went out looking for her covers to see if I could do a covers album. I found just about all the songs you mentioned, and a bunch more.

      But you have two I didn't: "My Doorbell" and "Second Hand News." I just went looking for those on Soulseek and YouTube. Not only did I find them, but that led me to this page, which will lead me to a handful more:

      https://www.youtube.com/user/tunstallvideos/videos

      Other ones I've found: Simple Twist of Fate, Christmas (Baby Please Come Home), Somebody to Love, Sledgehammer, Promised You a Miracle, Kiss, Heaven Is a Place on Earth, Gimme Some Truth. My search definitely isn't over. If you find others, please let me know. Seems like she's a covers making machine, and they're really good! ;)

      Delete
  4. My Doorbell is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE8RuPNzIsM. Second Hand News is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz1N_m1DNdo. I also have one for Independent Woman - it's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GswMwQbr80. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had My Doorbell and Second Hand News already, but not Independent Woman. So I've just added that. Here's the list I have so far, in rough chronological order:

      01. Ain't Misbehavin' (KT Tunstall with Jools Holland)
      02. Get Ur Freak On (KT Tunstall)
      03. My Doorbell (KT Tunstall)
      04. Simple Twist of Fate (KT Tunstall)
      05. Tangled Up in Blue (KT Tunstall)
      06. Teenage Kicks (KT Tunstall)
      07. This Wheel's on Fire (KT Tunstall & Billy Bragg)
      08. Darkness on the Face of the Earth (KT Tunstall with Jools Holland)
      09. Fake Plastic Trees (KT Tunstall)
      10. Golden Age (KT Tunstall)
      11. 2000 Miles (KT Tunstall)
      12. Ain't Nobody (KT Tunstall)
      13. Christmas [Baby Please Come Home] (KT Tunstall)
      14. Fairytale of New York (KT Tunstall)
      15. I Want You Back (KT Tunstall)
      16. La Vie En Rose (KT Tunstall)
      17. Let's Stick Together (KT Tunstall)
      18. Lonely This Christmas (KT Tunstall)
      19. Mele Kalikimaka [Christmas in Hawaii] (KT Tunstall)
      20. My Sharona (KT Tunstall & Keren Ann)
      21. Sleigh Ride (KT Tunstall)
      22. The Prayer (KT Tunstall)
      00. Kiss on My List (Daryl Hall & KT Tunstall)
      23. Out of Touch (Daryl Hall & KT Tunstall)
      24. Something to Talk About (KT Tunstall & Daryl Hall)
      25. Walk like an Egyptian (KT Tunstall)
      26. Because the Night (Rhythms del Mundo with KT Tunstall)
      00. Nothing Compares 2 U (Teitur & KT Tunstall)
      27. Somebody to Love (Rhythms del Mundo with KT Tunstall)
      28. Close to Me (KT Tunstall)
      29. Don't You [Forget About Me] (KT Tunstall)
      30. Landslide (KT Tunstall)
      00. Sweet Dreams [Are Made of This] (KT Tunstall with Dave Stewart, Vanessa Haynes & Candy Dulfer)
      31. Black Horse and the Cherry Tree Seven Nation Army (KT Tunstall)
      32. Deportee [Plane Wreck at Los Gatos] (KT Tunstall)
      33. Sledgehammer (KT Tunstall)
      34. The Boys of Summer (KT Tunstall)
      35. Night and Day (KT Tunstall with Jools Holland)
      36. Should I Stay or Should I Go (KT Tunstall)
      37. On Melancholy Hill (KT Tunstall)
      38. Promised You a Miracle (Simple Minds & KT Tunstall)
      39. Secondhand News (KT Tunstall)
      40. State Trooper (KT Tunstall & Julie Fowlis)
      41. You Make Loving Fun (KT Tunstall)
      42. Ain't Nobody (KT Tunstall)
      43. Black Hole Sun (KT Tunstall)
      44. Default (KT Tunstall)
      45. Independent Women (KT Tunstall)
      46. It's Too Late (KT Tunstall)
      47. Kiss (KT Tunstall)
      48. Stupid Girl (KT Tunstall)
      49. The Story (KT Tunstall)
      50. I Won't Back Down (KT Tunstall with Mike McCready)
      51. The Times They Are A-Changin' (KT Tunstall)
      52. Gimme Some Truth (KT Tunstall)
      53. Heaven Is a Place on Earth (KT Tunstall)
      54. [I've Had] The Time of My Life (KT Tunstall & Gary Barlow)
      55. A Little Respect (KT Tunstall)

      I think I've found pretty much all I can find. Some others have poor sound quality. I'm still looking for her version of "Blister in the Sun" though. She did a studio version that was released on a rare EP called "Extra WAX." But I can't find it anywhere.

      Delete
  5. I have mp3's too, if you need them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, while I have your attention, I am on the hunt for a series of albums that don't appear to be available anywhere: WFMU put out a series of at least 6 albums (that I know of) called various iterations of "Superhits of the Seventies," where current artists covered 70's hits. I know there are a bunch of albums that essentially did the same thing (and I have many of them), but I would really like to get my hands (or my ears) on any of the albums from WFMU. It doesn't appear that they are still offering them (they were only offered during fundraisers). Do you happen to have any of these CDs, or know where I can get them? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of any of those. If you give me some specific album names, I could see if I can find them.

      Delete
  7. Here is their info at Discogs:
    https://www.discogs.com/label/1082028-Superhits-Of-The-Seventies
    The good news is, I contacted the station and was told volumes 2-5 should be available in their online store the end of this month. Since they are fundraisers, I suspect they will be pricey ($50 each wouldn't surprise me), but I'd be supporting an independent radio station and getting some cover songs that aren't available anywhere else. I also just purchased 2 CDs from ATX with exclusive cover songs (at Discogs https://www.discogs.com/Various-British-Invasion/release/10597014 and https://www.discogs.com/Various-All-ATX-Vol-5-Back-To-The-Armadillo/release/11212688). Lots of stuff....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. Please let me know how good they are once you get them.

      If you're into that sort of thing, it would be great if you could get this album too:

      https://www.discogs.com/Various-Reworked-Songs-From-The-John-Lewis-TV-Adverts/release/5533894

      It's a similar concept of newer artists doing covers of older classics. I've been looking for Imelda May's version of "On the Radio" for a long time.

      Delete
    2. Ordered it. I'll let you know when it arrives. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
    3. Wow, great! Thanks a lot. I'm looking forward to it.

      I'm also trying to find Imelda May's version of "Rock Around with Ollie Vee," which is a bonus track to a various artists compilation. But I can't find it anywhere. I guess it might be here on Spotify, but I don't use that program:

      https://open.spotify.com/track/1pPxEzE03xzxv5VbPggo8e

      Delete
  8. I found a "miscellaneous" folder as part of a KT Tunstall discography which may have some songs or versions that aren't on your list.

    Uploaded to Zippy: https://www30.zippyshare.com/v/SA7KANFP/file.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for that. In terms of covers I only found one or two things I didn't have already. But that has a lot of really nice original non-album songs that I didn't know about. I'm going to look more into those and maybe post some stray tracks albums by her, other than covers. So thanks!

      Delete