Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Melissa Etheridge - From My Home to Yours - Home Concert, Los Angeles, CA, 4-29-2020

I think Melissa Etheridge has to be the hardest working musician during the coronavirus lockdown. She's been performing a home concert of about half an hour to an hour in length every single day since the lockdown began! As I write this, she's done over 50 concerts, and shows no sign of stopping.

I already posted one of her home concerts, a special one that consisted entirely of Bruce Springsteen covers. This is another special one from her. On April 29, 2020, in addition to her usual afternoon home concert, she did a second home concert that evening for a different social media platform, which she called "From My Home to Yours." That show focused on her best known hits. So this is ideal for people, like me, who don't own most of her albums but still enjoy her greatest hits.

Since all of these songs are performed by Etheridge alone, this is much like a solo acoustic version of her greatest hits album. Except it's not entirely that way, due to her mastery of the looping technique. As she did for a couple of the songs for her Bruce Springsteen show, she added drums and occasionally some other instruments to a "looped" backing track that she created all by herself on the spot. In the few cases she did this, I edited out the minute or two it took for her to build up the loop, because I don't think those parts stand up well to repeated listening. But still, kudos to her for being able to flesh some songs out all on her own so quickly.

Also note that for a couple of the looped songs, she plays an electric guitar instead of an acoustic, and adds her own licks and even entire solos. She also plays piano instead of guitar on a couple of songs. I knew she has a great voice, but I didn't realize she's so talented on so many instruments (especially if you include the drumming she did for the looping).

I believe all the songs are written or co-written by Etheridge, except for "Weakness in Me" by Joan Armatrading. Etheridge tends to talk a lot between songs. I kept nearly all of it, except for bits I thought wouldn't stand up to repeated listening, such as when she was plugging her next home concerts.

By the way, I've been keeping track of her daily home concerts. In the future, I plan on posting some highlights from that, such as when she does more special covers shows.

01 I Want to Come Over (Melissa Etheridge)
02 talk (Melissa Etheridge)
03 You Can Sleep While I Drive (Melissa Etheridge)
04 talk (Melissa Etheridge)
05 If I Wanted To (Melissa Etheridge)
06 talk (Melissa Etheridge)
07 Don't You Need (Melissa Etheridge)
08 talk (Melissa Etheridge)
09 Bring Me Some Water (Melissa Etheridge)
10 talk (Melissa Etheridge)
11 Weakness in Me (Melissa Etheridge)
12 talk (Melissa Etheridge)
13 Meet Me in the Dark (Melissa Etheridge)
14 talk (Melissa Etheridge)
15 Chrome Plated Heart (Melissa Etheridge)
16 talk (Melissa Etheridge)
17 I'm the Only One (Melissa Etheridge)
18 talk (Melissa Etheridge)
19 Come to My Window (Melissa Etheridge)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15289566/MelissaE_2020e_FrmMyHomtoYoursHomeConcrtLsAngelesCA__4-29-2020_atse.zip.html

The cover art is a screenshot taken from the concert in question.

1 comment: