Friday, May 29, 2020

Crosby, Stills and Nash - Solo Demos, Volume 3: 1970-1971

I've posted two albums of solo demos from Crosby, Stills and Nash already. This is the third and final one. Solo demos are what they are - each of the songs feature just Crosby, Stills or Nash. As with the earlier albums in this series, most of the songs are well known ones. But I think it's interesting to hear these stripped down, acoustic versions.

Seven out of the 11 songs have been officially released. Of the four unreleased ones, they're all studio recordings and sound just as good as the others. The album is a bit short at 35 minutes, but these are all the performances I could find that fit the format.

Most of the songs are the kinds of songs you'd expect. But there are two exceptions. Graham Nash does a solo version of "Everybody's Been Burned," a David Crosby song that he originally performed with the Byrds. And I've included a rare and unreleased Crosby original, "Under Anesthesia" (also known as "You Sit There"). It would have made sense for me to include it on one of my CSN/Y stray tracks albums, but I felt it wasn't quite good enough to make the grade.

Unfortunately, this series ends because there just aren't enough solo demos after 1971 to allow me to keep going. CSN wrote many of their classic songs in the 1969 to 1971 time frame, so there's a lot more interest with those. Thus, there have been more officially released versions and more bootlegs too.

UPDATE: On October 21, 2021, I updated the mp3 download file. I added two songs, "Bach Mode" and "Where Will I Be." I also upgraded "Dancer" and "The Wall Song" from unreleased to released versions. All of these songs come from the 50th anniversary edition of "If I Could Only Remember My Name."

01 Chicago (Graham Nash)
02 Where Will I Be (David Crosby)
03 4 + 20 (Stephen Stills)
04 Dancer (David Crosby)
05 Simple Man (Graham Nash)
06 Love the One You're With (Stephen Stills)
07 The Wall Song (David Crosby)
08 Man in the Mirror (Graham Nash)
09 Under Anesthesia [You Sit There] (David Crosby)
10 Everybody's Been Burned (Graham Nash)
11 Singin' Call (Stephen Stills)
12 Be Yourself (Graham Nash)
13 Bach Mode [Pre-Critical Mass] (David Crosby)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16383331/CROSBSTLLSNSH1970-1971SloDmosVlum3_atse.zip.html

For the cover art photo, I found a 1970 photo of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, with their bassist and drummer included as well. But I cropped the photo so it only showed Crosby, Stills and Nash. Neil Young happened to be sitting while the others were standing, so it was pretty easy to crop him out of it.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Paul, Love your blog. Finding such gems on here! DO you happen to have any Patti Smith?
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like. Not every musician has "albums that should exist." I can't think of any in her case.

      Delete
  2. link leads to 'Alternate Takes' and not demos Vol 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out. It should be fixed now.

      Delete