Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs - Under the Covers, Volume 1.5 (2006)

A few days ago, someone asked me if I was familiar with the three "Under the Covers"albums by Hoffs and Matthew Sweet. This is my way of replying yes, yes, I am. :) Those three albums contain nothing but cover versions of classic songs, done by decade. "Under the Covers, Volume 1" came out in 2006 and focused on songs from the 1960s. There were only three official bonus tracks to that. But I've used those plus other 1960s covers to make a companion album. I figured the only logical title I could give it was "Volume 1.5."

Three of the songs here are also on "Volume 1." That's because these are very different acoustic versions, done live in the studio for radio shows. All the other songs are different, and come from a variety of sources. Most of them are from 2006, but I went back to 2002 and 2004 grab two songs and forward to 2009 and 2011 to grab two others. I figure that for this type of album the year the song was recorded isn't as important as the performance and sound quality, as well as it being a 1960s cover. There were just two cases where I included a song that didn't have both Sweet and Hoffs on it ("Big Sky" and "Good Night.")

I've also included "Cinnamon Girl" as a bonus track. The reason it's only a bonus track is because that song is on "Volume 1" and this version isn't very different. (It was done live in a studio.) However, it's in excellent sound quality, so I'm throwing it on in case anyone wants it. 

UPDATE: On October 23, 2022, I updated the mp3 download file. I added one song I'd previously overlooked, "I Can See for Miles."

01 Here Comes the Sun (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
02 Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
03 I See the Rain (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
04 Different Drum (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
05 To Sir with Love (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
06 Rain (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
07 I Can See for Miles (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
08 The Village Green Preservation Society (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
09 Sorry (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
10 On the Way Home (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
11 Big Sky (Matthew Sweet)
12 Got to Get You into My Life (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
13 I'll Keep It with Mine (Susanna Hoffs with Petra Haden)
14 Good Night (Matthew Sweet)

Cinnamon Girl (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15263892/MattSwtSusH_2006_UndrCovrsVolme1.5_atse.zip.html

I made the cover using a photo of Sweet and Hoffs, but I don't know what year it's from. I copied and pasted the text from one of the official albums to keep that distinctive font, then I changed the numbering. 

14 comments:

  1. I love their triple album, so these extras will be the cream on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - been looking for "On the Way Home" for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These covers albums have made me realize that Susanna is a really crappy singer. She's out of tune and puts the emphasis on the wrong parts all the time, completely missing the vibe of the original songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this still available? Link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link still looks good to me. I just checked it. Is it not working for you? (It's right below the song list.)

      Delete
  5. The Pillowcase EP (2x7") had 2 B-sides not on Vol. 1: Village Green and I Can See for Miles (The Who). Both of those are on the Completely Under the Covers vinyl box set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for that comment. I'd missed it previously. I already have Village Green on the album, but I'd missed I Can See for Miles. So I just added that in.

      Delete
  6. P.S. there was also a Sid & Susie show audience-recorded in NYC in 2006 (at Bowery Ballroom?) with Mike Myers guesting on 'BBC' from 'Austin Powers'. They were the band Ming Tea seen in the film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, to bug you one more time this one ... the duo performance of 'Girlfriend' isn't among the tracks. Was that a change/update/second thought? Maybe it belongs at the end of Vol. 3.5?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I guess I decided that didn't fit, since it isn't a cover. I just removed the text mentioning that.

      Delete
  8. Any chance for a new link? The one above is 404.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in luck. I announced recently that a bunch of links mysteriously died, and I've been replacing the links. I just happened to replace all three of the Sweet/Hoffs albums together.

      Delete