Thursday, September 6, 2018

David Bowie - Shadow Man - Non-Album Tracks (1970-1971)

As I said in a previous post, I've got a lot of Davie Bowie material to post, most of it from the late 1960s and early 1970s. There's BBC performances, acoustic versions, and more. But first, I want to post the stray track studio albums. The last one I posted covered 1968 to 1969; this one covers 1970 to 1971.

My two previous Bowie stray tracks albums covered early time periods when Bowie was still finding his style and his voice. But this one, in my opinion, covers some of the very best Bowie years, so it's not surprising that even his unreleased songs are still good. Most of the 12 songs on this album were written or co-written by Bowie. ("Buzz the Fuzz" is a cover.) Yet, surprisingly, only three of the songs here have been officially released

I don't know why, since I think this makes a solid album. Take, for instance, the song "Shadow Man." Bowie never allowed it to be included on any box set or bonus track. Yet, in 2001, he made a new version of the song for his album "Toy" (which wasn't released at the time due to problems at his record company.)

If you've a Bowie fan, don't miss this!

By the way, I've included one song, "Tired of My Life," only as a bonus track. There's two reasons for that. For one, it's just not that good of a song. But also, Bowie revamped it and greatly improved it, turning it into "It's No Game" for his 1980 album "Scary Monsters." I much prefer hearing that.

Also by the way, the first song, "London Bye Ta-Ta," is a remake of a song he released in 1967. But this version is included because it's significantly different, and, in my opinion, better. Oh, and the lead vocals for the song "Man in the Middle" are mostly sung by someone else, but Bowie apparently wrote it and he joins in the singing, so I figure it's worthy of inclusion.

01 London Bye Ta-Ta [1970 Version] (David Bowie)
02 Conversation Piece (David Bowie)
03 The Mirror (David Bowie)
04 Looking for a Friend (David Bowie)
05 Buzz the Fuzz (David Bowie)
06 Columbine (David Bowie)
07 Right on Mother (David Bowie)
08 Lightning Frightening (David Bowie)
09 Rupert the Riley (David Bowie)
10 Man in the Middle (Freddi Buretti & David Bowie)
11 How Lucky You Are [Miss Peculiar] (David Bowie)
12 Shadow Man (David Bowie)

Tired of My Life [It's No Game] (David Bowie)

https://www.imagenetz.de/c6Phk

Thanks to Peter at the Albums I Wish Existed blog for the cover art.

3 comments:

  1. "Love Song" sounds like Jefferson Airplane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Love Song" sounds more like Simon & Garfunkel, not Jefferson Airplane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has two of the biggest hidden treasures in Bowie's discography with "Conversation Piece" and "Shadow Man" which are just magnificent ballads...

    ReplyDelete