Thursday, August 30, 2018

Sheryl Crow - Keep On Growing - Non-Album Tracks (1995-1996)

It's funny - I think I prefer some of the Sheryl Crow stray tracks albums I've made to her official albums. That's probably because albums like this one have more variety, and a lot of cover songs.

Crow is a great singer, and is often a very good songwriter, but some of the songs she writes can fall into "adult contemporary" blandness. That's definitely not the case when she's covering the likes of the Rolling Stones, Steve Miller, Derek and the Dominos, or the Allman Brothers Band - and she does all of that and more here.

Her original songs are an interesting bunch too. The mid to late 1990s was Crow's commercial peak, I think in large part because she was musically peaking too.

This album has gone through some significant changes since I first posted it. In November 2021, I split it in two, creating the album "Rock Me Baby" because I found a bunch more songs from this time period. I put most of them on that album, but I also added "Midnight Rider," "All I Wanna Do (Beat Version)," and "La Ci Darem la Mano." Normally, I'm not that into alternate versions of songs, but I figure ""All I Wanna Do (Beat Version)" is different enough from the famous hit song version to merit inclusion.

"La Ci Darem la Mano" sticks out like a sore thumb. Crow dueted with Luciano Pavarotti for a song one would find in an opera. Personally, I think Crow did a very good job with her part (though I don't know opera enough to really judge). But since it's so different from everything else, I've stuck it at the end.

There's one bonus track, "100 Years," a duet with Blues Traveler. It sounds excellent even though it comes from a concert bootleg. The reason it's a bonus track is because it features a lot more of Blues Traveler than it does of Crow.

This album is 45 minutes long.

01 Keep On Growing (Sheryl Crow)
02 Get Off of My Cloud (Sheryl Crow)
03 Midnight Rider (Allman Brothers Band & Sheryl Crow)
04 I Feel Happy (Sheryl Crow)
05 Let It Bleed (Sheryl Crow)
06 The Joker (Sheryl Crow)
07 All I Wanna Do [Beat Version] (Sheryl Crow)
08 Free Man (Sheryl Crow)
09 Sad, Sad World (Sheryl Crow)
10 La Ci Darem la Mano (Luciano Pavarotti & Sheryl Crow)

100 Years (Blues Traveler & Sheryl Crow)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15106861/SherylC_1995-1996_KeeponGrwing_atse.zip.html

I made the cover from a 1996 concert photo.

1 comment:

  1. Ever listen to Matthew Sweet/Suzanne Hoff's Under The Covers?

    ReplyDelete