Friday, August 31, 2018

Aretha Franklin - Love for Sale - Non-Album Tracks (1969-1970)

Here's the next in my series of stray tracks for Aretha Franklin's golden era. I explained the method to my madness in my last Franklin post: use the material from the "Rare and Unreleased Recordings from the Golden Reign of the Queen of Soul" collection, but add in other singles, live tracks, and so on, while breaking the music up to shorter album lengths.

My first album, covering 1967 to 1968, was nearly all songs from the "Rare and Unreleased" collection. But for this album, covering 1969 to 1970, one can better see what I'm doing. Six of the songs here are from that collection. But another three are unreleased live songs where I removed the clapping. Plus, there's a hit only released as a single "The House that Jack Built" and a B-side that also was strangely released from "Rare and Unreleased," even though it gathers up some of the B-sides from this era ("Pledging My Love - The Clock").

I'm particularly proud of what I did with "Gentle on My Mind."  After some research, I was able to track down a copy of Franklin doing that song with Andy Williams on his TV show in 1969. Unfortunately, Williams started the song in his muzak-y style which I loathe. Then Franklin, her back-up singers, and band, completely took over the rest of the song, leaving Williams in the dust. So what I did was cut out the Williams part of the song entirely. Now it just sounds like a great Franklin song from start to finish. About the only evidence Williams is even there is when he says "Here we go!" near the start of the recording.

01 The Fool on the Hill (Aretha Franklin)
02 You're Taking Up Another Man's Place (Aretha Franklin)
03 You Keep Me Hangin' On (Aretha Franklin)
04 I'm Trying to Overcome (Aretha Franklin)
05 Funny Girl (Aretha Franklin)
06 Gentle on My Mind (Aretha Franklin with Andy Williams)
07 Love for Sale (Aretha Franklin)
08 Once in a Lifetime (Aretha Franklin)
09 Pledging My Love - The Clock (Aretha Franklin)
10 It's Not Unusual - See Saw (Aretha Franklin & Tom Jones)
11 The Party's Over (Aretha Franklin & Tom Jones)
12 My Way (Aretha Franklin)
13 My Cup Runneth Over (Aretha Franklin)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15112472/ArethaF_1969-1970_LoveforSle_atse.zip.html

The cover art is based on a 1971 photo, with additional artwork added by Makeba Rainey.

No comments:

Post a Comment