Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Haven't We Lost Enough - Non-Album Tracks (1990-1992)

I've been remiss in continuing some of the stray tracks series that I've started. One of my most extensive series has been Crosby, Stills, Nash and/or Young. So far, I've made it from the start of their career until the late 1980s.

In 1990, CSN released the studio album "Live It Up." It was a commercial flop and a critical disaster. The cover art of hot dogs on the moon was widely mocked. Frankly, the criticism was deserved. It was a pretty bad album. One problem, which has dogged CSN/Y ever since the 1970s in general, was bad production. CSN tried to sound contemporary and even went to outside songwriters in a failed attempt to get a hit. I suspect there was a lot of misguided record company manipulation.

In my CSN/Y alternate universe, I imagine that CSN didn't put out an album in 1990. Instead, they waited until 1992 to give them more time to write some good songs. (Neil Young is out of the picture and won't do much with CSN until the late 1990s.)

CSN actually wrote some really good songs during this time. It's just that they usually either frittered them away on little-noticed solo albums, slathered them with over-production, or didn't release them at the time (and sometimes not even later). They've made these same mistakes for their entire career.

Probably my favorite song from this time period is "Haven't We Lost Enough." That's why I've used it as the album title. Surprisingly, it was released on "Live It Up" and it wasn't ruined by bad production. But because it was put on such a bad album, and never played in concert, it's been almost totally forgotten when it should be as famous as their most popular 1960s and 1970s classics. The song was only played live once by CSN, on a TV show. Just for variety's sake, I've used that version (though it's very similar to the album version).

Four other songs here also were on "Live It Up," and the versions I've used are the exact same ones from that album. Some of those have problematic production, but they're fundamentally good songs and I was unable to find any high quality alternate versions.

Next up will be my version of CSN's 1994 album "After the Storm," which is a much better album but still could use a lot of improvement.

01 Haven't We Lost Enough (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
02 Hero (David Crosby)
03 A Case of You (Crosby & Nash)
04 Isn't It So (Stephen Stills)
05 Yours and Mine (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
06 [Got to Keep] Open (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
07 On the Other Side of Town [Baby's Vaccination] (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
08 I Don't Get It (Stephen Stills)
09 Arrows (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
10 After the Dolphin (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
11 Heart's Gate (Stephen Stills)
12 Somehow She Knew (Crosby, Stills & Nash)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16408069/CROSBSTLLSNSH1992HvntWLstEnugh_atse.zip.html

I made the cover using art from a CSN concert poster. I added the text at the bottom.

3 comments:

  1. I really appreciate your effort Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great album! What would you suggest for an album cover for this post?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you please reupload this and your other CSN albums on Soulseek?

    ReplyDelete