Friday, August 31, 2018

Aretha Franklin - Sweet Bitter Love - Non-Album Tracks (1966-1968)

With Aretha Franklin's funeral taking place today, it's a good time to post more of her music in memory to her great career.

As I've mentioned before, it's generally acknowledged that the peak of her career was from 1967 to 1974. In 2007, an official album of her stray tracks from this time was released, called "Rare and Unreleased Recordings from the Golden Reign of the Queen of Soul." This is a very good album, but I found I didn't listen to it much. It dawned on me that the problem was it was two CDs of about 70 minutes of music each, and most of the songs were in a slow tempo. It was too much Aretha at once, and it dragged too much.

What I've done instead is broken up the music from that compilation into smaller chunks of about 40 minutes each - about the length of Franklin's albums at the time. I added in other songs that didn't make her official albums, including some great A-side hits and some songs that were only done live. These extra tracks are generally more lively, and I think the result is a much better listen.

01 My Kind of Town [Detroit Is] (Aretha Franklin)
02 Try a Little Tenderness (Aretha Franklin)
03 Sweet Bitter Love (Aretha Franklin)
04 It Was You (Aretha Franklin)
05 The Letter (Aretha Franklin)
06 So Soon (Aretha Franklin)
07 Mr. Big (Aretha Franklin)
08 Talk to Me, Talk to Me (Aretha Franklin)
09 The House that Jack Built (Aretha Franklin)
10 My Song (Aretha Franklin)
11 There's No Business like Show Business - Baby Come Back to Me (Aretha Franklin)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15112468/ArethaF_1967-1968_SweetBittrLove_atse.zip.html

I made the cover art based on a photo that I'm guessing is from around 1967.

No comments:

Post a Comment