Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Robyn Hitchcock - Victorian Squid - Non-Album Tracks (1985)

My posting of Robyn Hitchcock's numerous stray track albums continues. As I've mentioned previously, for most of his official studio albums, I've been able to make two albums: one of acoustic versions of the songs on that album, and then another album of all the good stray tracks from that time. This is an example of the latter, covering 1985, the year Hitchcock released the "Fegmania" album.

"Fegmania" was the first album Hitchcock did with the Egyptians, the band he would stick with until 1992. (I'm not keeping track which songs are recorded with the Egyptians and which ones aren't, because, to be honest, I don't think it makes much difference. It's clearly Hitchcock plus a backing band whenever he's with a band.) Hitchcock did start playing many more concerts in 1985, but I couldn't find any instances of them doing really rare songs. So all the songs here have been officially released one way or another.

I call this album "Victorian Squid," because out of all of the songs on it, it's the one Hitchcock seems to like the best. Most of these songs haven't been played in concert at all, but he stills plays "Victorian Squid" on a regular basis.

01 The Bells of Rhymney (Robyn Hitchcock)
02 Some Body (Robyn Hitchcock)
03 Dwarfbeat (Robyn Hitchcock)
04 The Pit of Souls [Parts I-IV] [Instrumental] (Robyn Hitchcock)
05 The Drowning Church (Robyn Hitchcock)
06 Lady Obvious (Robyn Hitchcock)
07 Victorian Squid (Robyn Hitchcock)
08 Parachutes and Jellyfish (Robyn Hitchcock)
09 Captain Dry (Robyn Hitchcock)
10 Birdshead (Robyn Hitchcock)
11 I Got a Message for You (Robyn Hitchcock)
12 Point It at Gran (Robyn Hitchcock)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15122113/RobynH_1985c_VictorinSquid_atse.zip.html

I'm very pleased at how this album cover turned out. Since I had decided to call the album "Victorian Squid," I Googled the term to see if anything interesting came up. Turns out someone named Travis Louie has made some fake portraits of people from the Victorian era but with some very strange twists. Such as a boy showing off his pet giant squid! All I did was add in a sepia tone and the text. Perfect. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Very Cool! things from both Dylan & RH. What could be better... nothing

    ReplyDelete