Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Huey Lewis & the News - BBC in Concert, Dominion Theatre, London, Britain, 10-28-1984

My BBC project has taken me in some unexpected direction for me, and I'm sure will continue to do so. I'm not much of a Huey Lewis and the News fan, although I like some of their hits. However, I noticed they did a concert for the BBC in 1984, near the peak of their popularity. I listened to it, and it was pretty good. But also, I checked out the band's biography and was surprised to see they've only released one live album, and that was recorded in 2005, way after their popularity had peaked. So this can serve as the 1980s live album they should have put out.

The sound of this bootleg is excellent, although the crowd noise is rather loud. But I had one beef with this. Namely, it happened a little early to include some of their biggest songs. The album "Sports" was released in 1984, and this is from the tour to support that. It was their most popular album, going platinum seven times over. But a year later, they released the Number One hit "The Power of Love," used in the movie "Back to the Future." Then their 1986 album "Fore!" had some other big songs. That too was a big seller, but their popularity quickly declined after that.

Since this is probably the only live album from them that I'm going to have, I included three more songs from a 1986 bootleg concert: "Hip to Be Square," "Jacob’s Ladder," and "The Power of Love."

 01 The Heart of Rock and Roll (Huey Lewis & the News)
02 Trouble in Paradise (Huey Lewis & the News)
03 Don't Make Me Do It (Huey Lewis & the News)
04 talk (Huey Lewis & the News)
05 If This Is It (Huey Lewis & the News)
06 Heart and Soul (Huey Lewis & the News)
07 Walking on a Thin Line (Huey Lewis & the News)
08 It's Alright (Huey Lewis & the News)
09 Finally Found a Home (Huey Lewis & the News)
10 Some of My Lies Are True [Sooner or Later] (Huey Lewis & the News)
11 Workin' for a Livin' (Huey Lewis & the News)
12 talk (Huey Lewis & the News)
13 I Want a New Drug (Huey Lewis & the News)
14 Sea Cruise (Huey Lewis & the News)
15 talk (Huey Lewis & the News)
16 Hip to Be Square (Huey Lewis & the News)
17 Jacob’s Ladder (Huey Lewis & the News)
18 The Power of Love (Huey Lewis & the News)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15845002/HueyLws_1984_BBinConcertDminionTheatre__10-28-1984_atse.zip.html

The cover photo was taken at a concert in Irvine, California, in April 1984. I found the band's logo on the Internet and added that in.

6 comments:

  1. A mind is like a parachute, it has to be open to work! The eighties music scene was a horrible era in the pop world (imho) and my musical taste ascended into heavy metal. So I know nothing of these artists, infact, I'm completely intolerant of them. Maybe I will discover something new and my prejudice will be lessened.
    (I doubt you'd create a Metallica or Iron Maiden stray tracks album! Hah,)
    so many thank.

    The Glastonbury festival and the festival scene would be a website in itself and has perhaps been represented hear livebootlegconcert.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know anything of Huey Lewis? That would surprise me. By the way, I'm not into heavy metal (unless Led Zep counts), but I plan on posting something soon that will involve Metallica and Iron Maiden and the like... kind of. It has to do with mash-ups.

      Delete
  2. Only the hits! So, looking forward to continuing my musical education. I don't often get my metal head on these days! Will be an interesting mashup experience. An acoustic Metallica album might surprise you? They did a Bridge School Benefit and a few other acoustic sets through the years. That said, I went back to the begging of Rock n Roll and discovered the psychedelic sound. Thanks for your fantastic blog. Always makes my day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I was at that Bridge Benefit to see the Metallica acoustic set. (Though it was more acoustic-y, as they played as a full band, with drummer.) It was pretty good, I must admit.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this. Great live band!

    ReplyDelete