Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Alan Price & Georgie Fame - BBC Sessions, Volume 1: 1969-1971

NOTE: In February 2022, I posted an album of Alan Price and Georgie Fame together playing for the BBC. Since then, I've come across more material, enough to split that album in two. It so happens that most of the new material is from this time period, 1969 to 1971, while the stuff I already had is mostly from 1972 to 1973. So I renamed the existing one into "Volume 2," and this mostly new material becomes a new album of "Volume 1." But if you like this, you'll definitely want to get the redone "Volume 2," which also has some new songs on it.

Here's the link for that:

https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2022/02/alan-price-georgie-fame-bbc-sessions.html

I've already posted albums of Alan Price's BBC sessions and Georgie Fame's 1960s BBC sessions. The BBC solo sessions for both of them end towards the end of the 1960s because they teamed up as a duo for a few years. They first got together for a 1969 TV special, and that's represented with the first three songs here.

It was an unusual pairing in that both of them were lead singers and piano players, but they made it work. They generally traded lead vocals on most of these songs, or sang in harmony. 

After those TV special songs come three songs with just Price. All three songs are from 1970 BBC studio sessions. I've included them here because they fit better chronologically than tacking them onto the last solo Price BBC album I made.

Price and Fame only put out one album as a duo in 1971, and had a big hit in Britain with the song "Rosetta." When that came out, they did more BBC studios sessions as a duo. All the rest of the songs here are from three BBC sessions they did in 1971.

Everything on this album is officially unreleased. Virtually all of the BBC studio sessions were made available to me thanks to musical associate Marley. Those come from BBC transcription discs, and they have excellent sound quality.

As if often the case, the BBC DJs talked over the music sometimes. So as I usually do, I used the X-Minus audio editing program to wipe their talking while keeping the music. That's why so many songs have "[Edit]" in their names. I edited "Bring It on Home to Me" from the 1969 TV special for a different reason, but I forget what it is exactly.

By the way, theses are the four songs I had from the previous version of this album, before I split it in two: "Good Day Sunshine," "Great Balls of Fire," "Home Is Where Your Heart Is," and "Time I Moved On." All the rest are new.

This album is 41 minutes long.

01 Great Balls of Fire (Alan Price & Georgie Fame)
02 Bring It on Home to Me [Edit] (Alan Price & Georgie Fame)
03 Good Day Sunshine (Alan Price & Georgie Fame)
04 Saveloy Dip [Edit] (Alan Price)
05 Sunshine and Rain [Edit] (Alan Price)
06 When the Battle is Over [Edit] (Alan Price)
07 Can't Take It Much Longer [Edit] (Alan Price & Georgie Fame)
08 Mama Roux [Edit] (Alan Price & Georgie Fame)
09 Rosetta [Edit] (Alan Price & Georgie Fame)
10 Everyday [Edit] (Alan Price & Georgie Fame)
11 The Dole Song [Edit] (Alan Price & Georgie Fame)
12 Home Is Where Your Heart Is (Alan Price & Georgie Fame)
13 Time I Moved On (Alan Price & Georgie Fame)
14 Follow Me [Edit] (Alan Price & Georgie Fame)
15 I'm a Gambler [Edit] (Alan Price & Georgie Fame)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16373050/ALANPRCEGEORGFM1969-1971BBSssonsVolum1_atse.zip.html

The cover photo is from 1971, but I don't know any of the details. The colors were washed out, but I improved that somewhat in Photoshop.

2 comments:

  1. THANKS SO MUCH for this compilation. I'm a collector of AP, and I didn't have many of these tracks!

    ReplyDelete