Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Tom Paxton - BBC Sessions, Volume 1: In Concert, London, Britain, 12-28-1970

Here's another early BBC "In Concert" TV show, this time featuring singer-songwriter Tom Paxton.

Paxton's popularity probably peaked in the 1960s, when he wrote some classic folk songs like "The Last Thing on My Mind," "Bottle of Wine," and "Ramblin' Boy" that were covered by dozens of other famous musical acts. But he kept on steadily writing and recording quality songs for decades after that, and apparently is still performing at the age of 84 as I write this in 2022. 

Here's the Wikipedia link if you want to know more about him:

Tom Paxton - Wikipedia

There's not much else to say here, except the songs played here tended to be ones from his most recent albums instead of his most famous ones. However, it's not surprising he ended the concert with probably his best known song, "The Last Thing on My Mind." 

Like most of the early 1970s BBC TV show recordings, this concert was short, at only 32 minutes.

01 Morning Again (Tom Paxton)
02 talk (Tom Paxton)
03 I Lost My Heart on a 747 (Tom Paxton)
04 talk (Tom Paxton)
05 Whose Garden Was This (Tom Paxton)
06 talk (Tom Paxton)
07 Forest Lawn (Tom Paxton)
08 Annie's Going to Sing Her Song (Tom Paxton)
09 talk (Tom Paxton)
10 Jennifer's Rabbit - I Give You the Morning (Tom Paxton)
11 talk (Tom Paxton)
12 Talking Vietnam Potluck Blues (Tom Paxton)
13 Jimmy Newman (Tom Paxton)
14 The Last Thing on My Mind (Tom Paxton)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15328484/TomPax_1970_BBSessionsVolume1InConcrtLondnBritain__12-28-1970_atse.zip.html

The cover photo is a screenshot I took from the video of this concert, which I found on YouTube. Since the video included the opening credits, I used the same font and colors as those credits, except I added extra information with the extra bottom line in purple.

1 comment: