Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Neil Young - BBC in Concert, London, Britain, 2-23-1971

These days, as I write this in 2022, there's a lot of excellent officially released Neil Young concert material from the late 1970 and early 1971 time period. If you're a casual fan and have one or more of those, you probably don't need this. The sound quality here is excellent, as is the performance. But it's only 28 minutes long, and all the songs are on most of those official albums. But if you're a serious Neil Young fan, there are very few bootlegs that sound as good as this one does. 

I'm posting it because, like the Carole King one I just posted, I want to get all the "In Concert" albums I have out there, so I can ask help for the ones I still don't have.

There's a website called "Sugar Mountain" (https://www.sugarmtn.org) that aspires to have all the information about the set lists for all of Young's concerts. I looked up this show and discovered that there were some songs that didn't get broadcast. Specifically, he also played:

Cowgirl in the Sand
I Am a Child
There's a Word
The Needle and the Damage Done
Tell Me Why

 I suspect that if he played those extra songs, other artists who performed for the "In Concert" TV show around this time also did extra songs. Unfortunately, in Young's case, and most or all of those other cases, the extra songs seem to be lost.

What I find interesting is that, of the songs that were chosen for broadcast, the vast majority would have been unfamiliar at the time. Of course, in 1972, "Heart of Gold" would be a number one song in the US, and his album "Harvest" would sell millions. But that was 1972, and this was still early 1971. "Harvest" wound up getting delayed due to Young getting injured and some other issues. So even if the actual broadcast of this didn't take place until months later, the audience still wouldn't have known most of the songs. Plus, "Journey through the Past," "Love in Mind," and "Dance, Dance, Dance" wouldn't come out until even later. So probably "Don't Let It Bring You Down" would have been the only familiar song!

01 Out on the Weekend (Neil Young)
02 talk (Neil Young)
03 Old Man (Neil Young)
04 Heart of Gold (Neil Young)
05 Don't Let It Bring You Down (Neil Young)
06 talk (Neil Young)
07 Journey through the Past (Neil Young)
08 talk (Neil Young)
09 A Man Needs a Maid (Neil Young)
10 Love in Mind (Neil Young)
11 talk (Neil Young)
12 Dance, Dance, Dance (Neil Young)

https://www.imagenetz.de/mjFhR

For this cover, I did pretty much exactly what I did for the cover of the Carole King concert I just posted. This concert also can be found on YouTube. So I took a screenshot from that video for the cover art. For the text, I used the same font and colors as the opening screen of that video, though I added in the red line at the bottom.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks, but the tracks are miss-numbered (two 4s, 5s, 6s & 8s)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! That was a big screw up. The songs were out of order too. I don't know what happened, but I've fixed it now.

      Delete
  2. On Soulseek there is an album called Neil Young- 1973- 1973 at the BBC from user paulrutner, this has a set list of 20 songs which matches the sugarmountain list and also a few more. It seems a very 71 setlist to me as he doesnt seem to have played the BBC in 73.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. I just looked that up. I'm not sure what that is, but I'm pretty sure Young didn't record for the BBC in 1973. This also doesn't look like the rest of the 1971 BBC show. It's missing some songs (like There's a Word) and has others. It's just that Young played the same bunch of songs, more or less, a lot at the time. I assume it's some other 1971 concert that's mislabeled.

      Delete
    2. Checking the setlists in sugar mountain, i believe it was The Royal Festival Hall 4 days later on the 27th February 1971.

      By the way Sugarm Mountain is now on site https://www.sugarmtn.org

      Delete
    3. Actually, I've posted that concert here already:
      https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2020/02/neil-young-royal-festival-hall-london.html

      Delete
  3. I'd love to hear this but can't download from Zippyshare. Can anyone help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's now part of the 50th anniversary of Harvest release.

    ReplyDelete