Wednesday, June 15, 2022

The Moody Blues - BBC Sessions, Volume 4: David Symonds Show, London, Britain, 12-17-1969

Note that I already posted a Volume 4 of the Moody Blues playing for the BBC. So what is this? I realized that with the way I'd compiled BBC albums for the band, I'd split up their 1969 concert between two albums, ruining the listening experience of hearing it as a single album. 

Around the same time, I came across some additional BBC material, allowing me to replace the versions on other albums. Thus, what had been "BBC Sessions, Volume 4" is now "Volume 5" instead, and there are no performances on any of the albums that are exactly the same. If you want the latest and greatest, I suggest downloading this, plus the revised versions of (what is now) Volumes 3 and 5.

As far as I can tell, this is one of the first full rock concerts recorded for the BBC. Their concert series wouldn't begin until 1970, so this was done for the David Symonds Show. Unfortunately, it's a relatively short concert at only 30 minutes, but consider by the conservative BBC standards at the time it would have been rule-breaking to play that much music by the same band all at once.

The material here has been officially released twice, as bonus tracks on the deluxe version of the band's 1969 album "To Our Children's Children Children," and as part of the "Live at the BBC" album. I didn't do much to it, other than breaking the talking between songs into their own tracks.

01 Gypsy [Of a Strange and Distant Time] (Moody Blues)
02 The Sunset (Moody Blues)
03 talk (Moody Blues)
04 Never Comes the Day (Moody Blues)
05 talk (Moody Blues)
06 Are You Sitting Comfortably (Moody Blues)
07 Poem- The Dream (Moody Blues)
08 Have You Heard, Part 1 - The Voyage - Have You Heard, Part 2 (Moody Blues)
09 Nights in White Satin (Moody Blues)
10 talk (Moody Blues)
11 Legend of a Mind (Moody Blues)

https://www.imagenetz.de/b6KT3

The cover photo isn't the greatest, but it's pretty much the only color photo of the band I could find playing live in 1969. I don't know where or when exactly.

1 comment: