Thursday, June 9, 2022

The Eagles - BBC in Concert, London, Britain, 3-20-1973

Here's yet another BBC TV show performance from the early 1970s. This time, it's the Eagles. (And, yes, I know that technically their name is just "Eagles," but I'll note that at the start of this TV show they were billed as "The Eagles.")

These days, it seems the Eagles are just a bunch of greatest hits that get played everywhere, all the time, especially "Hotel California." But at the time of this concert, the band was just starting out. They had released one album in 1972, simply called "Eagles," and were on the verge of releasing a second one, which came out a few weeks later. Most of those blockbuster hits were still in the future. In my opinion, it's rather refreshing that this has a number of songs on it that haven't been overplayed to death. 

The BBC concert is only 35 minutes long. I learned that when Neil Young played for this BBC TV show in 1971, he did a number of songs that weren't aired and so didn't get bootlegged. I figure it's the same here. The short length is a bummer, but in terms of concert recordings from the band's early years, I doubt there are any with a sound quality as good as this one.

As far as I can tell, this is the only worthwhile recording the Eagles did for the BBC in the 1970s. Since they're an American band, it's not that surprising that their BBC exposure was limited at the time. They did record "Hotel California" for the BBC TV show "Old Grey Whistle Test" in 1977, and I considered adding that as a bonus track, but there was way too much crowd noise to make it a good listen, in my opinion. But since the concert is relatively short, I added two extra songs at the end from other TV appearances in 1973 and 1974. With those two added in, this is 43 minutes long.

01 Train Leaves Here This Morning (Eagles)
02 [Whatever Happened To] Saturday Night (Eagles)
03 Peaceful Easy Feeling (Eagles)
04 talk (Eagles)
05 Certain Kind of Fool (Eagles)
06 Early Bird (Eagles)
07 talk (Eagles)
08 Witchy Woman (Eagles)
09 Silver Dagger (Eagles)
10 Take It Easy (Eagles)
11 Out of Control (Eagles)
12 Tequila Sunrise (Eagles)
13 Already Gone (Eagles)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15112087/TEagls_1973_BBInConcertLondonBritain__3-20-1973_atse.zip.html

The video of this concert is (usually) available on YouTube. For the cover photo, I took a screenshot from the video. For the text, I used the same font type and colors as those presented at the start of the video. However, I made up the red line at the bottom since that information wasn't visually presented.

1 comment:

  1. Refreshing. I cant and wont listen to anymore of the Hits packages. I put together a compilation some years ago that you would probably like
    https://thepiratebay.org/description.php?id=13294994

    ReplyDelete