Tuesday, June 7, 2022

The Carpenters (with Tony Joe White) - BBC in Concert, London, Britain, 9-25-1971

Back in 2018, I jumped deep into the depths of the uncool pool by posting an album by the Carpenters. (Technically, their name is just "Carpenters," but nobody calls them that.) Now I'm jumping back into that pool by posting another album by them. Yes, their music is super sappy and cheesy, but damn, Karen Carpenter had one of the most amazing voices ever. I swear I can hear her smiling most of the time when she's singing.

This concert was done for the BBC's "In Concert" TV series. You can find the video of it on YouTube. But there are a couple of odd aspects about it. One is that singer-songwriter Tony Joe White sang two of his songs in between Carpenters songs. The other is that two of the songs shown on the TV show were actually the studio versions ("Help" and a Burt Bacharach medley), so I didn't include those. 

I must say I'm really impressed with Karen Carpenter in this unreleased show. Not only does her voice sound flawless, but she played the drums the entire time, as you can see on the video. That must be really hard to do.

This concert is 39 minutes long.

01 Love Is Surrender (Carpenters)
02 Superstar [Groupie] (Carpenters)
03 talk (Carpenters)
04 And When He Smiles (Carpenters)
05 Rainy Days and Mondays (Carpenters)
06 talk (Carpenters)
07 That on the Road Look (Tony Joe White)
08 I Fell in Love with You (Carpenters & Doug Strawn)
09 For All We Know (Carpenters)
10 Lust for Earl and the Married Woman (Tony Joe White)
11 Sometimes (Carpenters)
12 [They Long to Be] Close to You (Carpenters)
13 talk (Carpenters)
14 We've Only Just Begun (Carpenters)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15281492/Carpent_1971_BBInConcertLondnBritain__9-25-1971_atse.zip.html

For the cover photo, I took a screenshot of the exact concert featured here. Since I was so impressed with Karen Carpenter's drumming, I selected one of her drumming and singing.

1 comment:

  1. People forget that Karen Carpenter was a drummer as well as a singer. I've read that she was good enough to impress Buddy Rich - not an easy thing to do.

    ReplyDelete