Friday, March 8, 2019

The Zombies - She's Not There - Non-Album Tracks (1964)

A while back, I was asked to fix the discographies of the Zombies and the Yardbirds. The Yardbirds are still coming, but here's the start to the Zombies.

It's understandable to ask for a reorganization of the Zombies' music, because they've been treated very badly over the years. Basically, they never were popular enough for their record company to treat them seriously. They only issues two albums and a bunch of singles while they were together in the 1960s, and one of those albums, the classic "Odessey and Oracle," came out after the band broke up.

What I've discovered is that the Zombies recorded enough music for six albums, not two! That's an amazing difference! And they had a high consistency, so it's pretty much all good stuff. I'm getting nearly all of their music from the 1997 box set "Zombie Heaven." This has to be one of the best and most influential of all box sets, and probably was the key factor for critics to reassess their legacy, ultimately resulting in them getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

But while that box set did a big service in putting all of the Zombies' music in one place, including lots of previously unreleased material, I think it can be organized better. For one thing, it's four CDs of about 70 minutes each. I think the Zombies are better served by albums less than 40 minutes each. That's how their music was meant to be heard back in the day. For instance, their two albums released in the 1960s were 33 and 35 minutes long respectively.

Also, the box set organizes their music thematically, for instance by songs that were officially released at the time and those that weren't, and those that were played at the BBC. I think it makes much more sense to organize the songs chronologically. So, using the box set's extensive liner notes, I figured out which month and year each song was recorded, and used that. (I've included that info in the album field of the mp3 tags to help me keep things straight.)

So here's the first of the six albums I've made. These albums include all the song they recorded minus the "Odessey and Oracle" album. There's no need for me to post that here because it's perfect the way it is. After I post all that, I may also post alternate versions of some of the songs done in the studio or at the BBC.

Naturally, I'm titling this "She's Not There" for one of their biggest hits, and I'm putting that song first. It also happens to be one of the first things they recorded. The Zombies were great from the very start.

01 She's Not There (Zombies)
02 Summertime (Zombies)
03 It's Alright with Me (Zombies)
04 You Make Me Feel Good (Zombies)
05 Leave Me Be (Zombies)
06 Woman (Zombies)
07 Kind of Girl (Zombies)
08 Sometimes (Zombies)
09 Early One Morning (Zombies)
10 Road Runner (Zombies)
11 Sticks and Stones (Zombies)
12 I Don't Want to Know (Zombies)
13 I Remember When I Loved Her (Zombies)
14 What More Can I Do (Zombies)
15 Walking in the Sun (Zombies)
16 I'm Going Home (Zombies)

https://www.imagenetz.de/fzqCk

The cover comes from one of the many cover variants of the "She's Not There" single.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for the eagle eye in catching that so quickly. I just updated the post and the zip file with the correct track numbering.

      Delete