Thursday, March 7, 2019

John Fogerty - Hoodoo (1976)

With this blog, I've been concentrating on posting albums that I've compiled myself. But there also are "albums that should exist" that have been bootlegged but never released, don't need any changing, and should reach a wider audience. I plan on posting lots of those too, by and by. Here's one.

Here's a short history of this album. Although John Fogerty was wildly successful with his band Creedence Clearwater Revival in the late 1960s and early 1970s, he had trouble getting any momentum going with a solo career after CCR broke up in 1972.

He put out two solo albums, "Blue Ridge Rangers" in 1973 and "John Fogerty" in 1975, but neither of them sold very well. "Blue Ridge Rangers" is all covers of country songs, so you probably won't like it if you're not into country music. But 1975's "John Fogerty" sounds exactly like a CCR album and is just as good as any CCR album, so you should definitely hear that if you like CCR at all. Two of the songs on it, "Rockin' All Over the World" and "Almost Saturday Night," weren't hits at the time for Fogerty, but have been covered by many other artists since, and sometimes have been hits.

Fogerty submitted a new album, "Hoodoo," to his record company in 1976. A single of two songs from it, "You Got the Magic" backed by "Evil Thing," was released, and barely scraped the bottom of the charts. After that failure, Fogerty and the record company agreed not to release the album. It's been sitting in the vaults ever since. Although it's been widely bootlegged, Fogerty has made clear in interviews that he never plans on releasing it, though he's said he might want to redo some of the songs from it someday.

So, was it a good call not to release the album? Admittedly, it's not a great lost treasure, and it's not even as strong as "John Fogerty" from the year before. But Fogerty has been remarkably consistent in his career, so even a "bad" Fogerty album is pretty good. The main problem, I think, is that Fogerty's music was out of sync with what was popular at the time. Remember, already by 1976, disco has essentially taken over. Disco fever was so overwhelming that artists from the Rolling Stones to Ethel Merman recorded disco songs, and those who didn't often had plunging record sales. Fogerty kept on doing his chooglin' CCR thing regardless of musical trends - and still does to this day. In retrospect, that was much better than him getting trendy with disco, but he suffered for it at the time.

Sadly, Fogerty was so discouraged by the failure of this album to even get released that he stopped making music for several years. He finally would have a big comeback with his "Centerfield" album nine years later.

This album is 30 minutes long.

01 You Got the Magic (John Fogerty)
02 Between the Lines (John Fogerty)
03 Leave My Woman Alone (John Fogerty)
04 Marchin' to Blarney [Instrumental] (John Fogerty)
05 Hoodoo Man (John Fogerty)
06 Telephone (John Fogerty)
07 Evil Thing (John Fogerty)
08 Henrietta (John Fogerty)
09 On the Run (John Fogerty)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15218841/JohnFoge_1976_Hodoo_atse.zip.html

The "Hoodoo" album was so close to being officially released that all of the artwork for it had been completed. So this is just the exact intended cover. The only problem is it's a bit low-res. If anyone has a better version, please let me know and I'll upgrade it.

10 comments:

  1. I searched everywhere for a better res copy of the album sleeve when I posted my version of this back in July, and there just isn't one, so I ended up using the bootleg version, which I just felt was better all round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the reasoning there, but I like having the original. I actually went through the trouble of redoing the text using the same font as in the original, to at least make that a little sharper. It still looks pretty fuzzy overall though.

      Delete
    2. Hey, do you mind sharing that? It would be amazing, I'm looking specially for the back cover, since the only image that is on internet is really low res, and you can't see the text.

      Delete
    3. You can find his version here, but it's a different picture:

      https://albumsiwishexisted.blogspot.com/search/label/John%20Fogerty

      Delete
    4. Oh I see, thanks. I tried making the front look a bit better here: https://imgur.com/INgYYJZ
      But when trying to do the same for the back, the text is impossible to read :S

      Delete
    5. Nice work on the letting. I did some Googling when I posted this album, and all I could find were some very blurry versions. Maybe that's all that's been made public.

      Delete
  2. John Fogerty Hoodoo - The Lost Tapes, including some extras non álbum singles, is the best option to the fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except what if I include all those extra songs, plus more, on a different album, where they fit better? That's what I've already done. Thanks to your reminder, I'll post that album shortly.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE JOHN FOGERTY! From the time I was 8 yrs. old, John was making music that has stayed with me these many decades. First time I have ever heard of HODOO! I would be eager to hear it if it was possible. Even if it wasn't of the same caliber as his other albums, guarantee ya, it would still be good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out the other John Fogerty albums I've posted here, with more to come. And I've posted a Creedence rarities album too.

      Delete