Tuesday, March 12, 2019

The Byrds - She Don't Care about Time - Non-Album Tracks (1965-1967)

Since I've started posting some albums by the Byrds, here's another one. To me, the Byrds from 1965 to 1967 were at their peak, and they recorded some of my favorite music ever. This album gathers up all the stray tracks from that time, so of course the music here is great. ;)

There are a couple of incidental tracks here, especially instrumentals, but there are some classic songs too. So overall, this album is just as solid as the other albums the Byrds released in those years. There are a few A- or B-sides, but for the most part, these songs weren't released until archival releases many years later.

Note that I'm keeping to my usual policy of avoiding alternate versions of songs officially released elsewhere. So, for instance, I'm not including either of the alternate versions of "Why," even though those versions are interesting and popular. Probably some point down the line I'll post an album just of interesting alternates like that one.

Back in 2018, I made a couple of mash-ups of Byrd songs. With "Bound to Fall," I paired an instrumental version lacking vocals with the vocals from Byrds bassist Chris Hillman some years later. With "Stranger in a Strange Land," a song by David Crosby, I had an instrumental version by the Byrds, but no known version of the Byrds or Crosby ever singing it. However, I did find a version of the song by folk duo Blackburn and Snow, and I merged that with the Byrds instrumental.

For this album, I'm including the mash-up of "Bound to Fall" at the end, since it's all the Byrds, even though it is a mash-up. But "Stranger in a Strange Land" mixes the Byrds with another artist, so that arguably isn't the Byrds anymore. Thus, I'm including that, but only as an optional bonus track.

01 She Has a Way (Byrds)
02 You and Me [Instrumental] (Byrds)
03 The Day Walk [Never Before] (Byrds)
04 She Don't Care about Time [Single Version] (Byrds)
05 It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (Byrds)
06 I Know My Rider [I Know You Rider] (Byrds)
07 Psychodrama City (Byrds)
08 If I Hang Around [Acoustic Demo] (Byrds)
09 Roll Over Beethoven (Byrds)
10 Lady Friend (Byrds)
11 Don't Make Waves (Byrds)
12 Flight 713 [Instrumental] (Byrds)
13 It Happens Each Day (Byrds)
14 Triad (Byrds)
15 Moog Raga [Instrumental] (Byrds)
16 Bound to Fall [Mash-Up Mix] (Byrds)

Stranger in a Strange Land [Mash-Up Mix] (Blackburn & Snow with the Byrds)

https://www.imagenetz.de/cj6vJ

I made the cover using a photo of the five original Byrds. I'm not sure what year it comes from, but I'd guess around 1966.

5 comments:

  1. nice to hear If I Hang Around in this context,it fits in so well,maybe the harmonies and bass have been enhanced,they're more prominent than versions i have

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the sixties, The Byrds were very great. I love their music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I plan on posting more of their stuff, but mostly from 1969-1973. There just isn't that much from the mid-1960s from them.

      Delete
  3. If I Hang Around was written and recorded by Gene Clark after he had left the Byrds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from an alternate universe where Lady Friend was a #1 hit single that sold so well, Gene Clark rejoined, had therapy that enabled him to fly and the original Byrds kept playing together through 1975. Thanks for this. BTW, there's a great Crosby demo of Lady Friend on YouTube or at least there was about a year ago.

    ReplyDelete