Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Norah Jones - Day Dreaming - Non-Album Tracks (2003-2004)

Norah Jones is a real problem for me. Namely, once I post an album here, I don't want to make changes to it. But Jones has a seemingly bottomless number of stray tracks, lots of them very obscure. Every time I think I've found all her songs that I want to include on my compilation albums, I'll go down some Internet rabbit hole and end up finding a bunch more.

And the weird thing is, the vast majority of them are really good. In fact, I've made the argument in past Jones postings that her non-album songs are better overall than those on her albums. That's because her albums tend to suffer from a certain "easy listening" sameness, whereas she stretches herself with a variety of interesting and classic material with her non-album tracks, which usually take the form of collaborations with other artists.

That said, I think I've found nearly all of the rare Jones songs I'm likely to find, so I'm going to press forward with posting more of her albums. If I end up adding to or changing them later, oh well. She's a special case, due to her virtual second career guest singing (lead!) and playing for others.

This album fits the pattern of all the other stray track albums of hers I've made. I'm sorry Norah, you're a good songwriter, but I'd rather hear you bringing your special voice and style to great classic songs. On this album, she does songs made famous by Dolly Parton ("Grass Is Blue"), Elvis Presley ("Love Me Tender"), Aretha Franklin ("Day Dreaming"), Waylon Jennings ("Wurlitzer Prize"), and more, including some songs from the so-called Great American Songbook.

This album is 42 minutes long.

01 What Makes You (Jesse Harris & Norah Jones)
02 Beautiful Friendship (Norah Jones & Marian McPartland)
03 I Could Lie to You (Noam Weinstein & Norah Jones)
04 Why Can't He Be You (Norah Jones)
05 The Grass Is Blue (Norah Jones)
06 Wurlitzer Prize [I Don't Want to Get Over You] (Norah Jones)
07 Moon Song (Norah Jones)
08 Stella (Norah Jones & Jim Campilongo)
09 These Foolish Things (Norah Jones)
10 Day Dreaming (Norah Jones)
11 Rita (Rachel Loshak & Norah Jones)
12 Love Me Tender (Norah Jones)

https://www.imagenetz.de/iQpx5

I made the cover based on a photo from the early 2000s. But I don't know the exact year or other details of where the photo is from.

3 comments: