Friday, March 22, 2019

The Zombies - I'll Call You Mine - Non-Album Tracks (1966-1967)

Here's the next in my series of stray tracks albums from the Zombies.

This album is very similar to the last one I posted in that it covers a time period in which the Zombies were failing to have much commercial success. In fact, as time passed and 1966 turned to 1967, their situation got worse and worse. Only one song here was recorded in 1967, a BBC performance of "The Look of Love," because the band pretty much dropped into total obscurity that year.

Luckily, a dramatic turnaround was just about to happen. In 1967, the Zombies changed record companies and scraped together enough money to record one final album, though they had to fund much of it out of their own pockets. That album, "Odessey and Oracle," would come out in early 1968 and would turn out to be an all-time classic. I'm not going to post that here, since any Zombies fan should have it already.

As with the last album in this series, in an alternate universe, the Zombies would have had much more success and at least a couple hit singles during this time. But only six out of the 15 songs here were released in the 1960s, and none of the songs even scraped the bottom of the charts. If you listen to this album and compare it to other albums other groups released at the time, you'll see how unfair their obscurity was. This is another solid album of mostly original material.

Oh, and by the way, although I won't post "Odessey and Oracle" here, I have one more stray tracks album to post that covers what they did after that album and before they broke up near the end of the 1960s.

01 Is This the Dream (Zombies)
02 Going to a Go Go [Live] (Zombies)
03 Gotta Get a Hold of Myself (Zombies)
04 Indication (Zombies)
05 She Does Everything for Me (Zombies)
06 Sitting in the Park (Zombies)
07 I'll Call You Mine (Zombies)
08 One Day I'll Say Goodbye [Home Demo] (Zombies)
09 I Don't Want to Worry [Home Demo] (Zombies)
10 Goin' Out of My Head (Zombies)
11 A Love that Never Was [Demo] (Zombies)
12 This Old Heart of Mine (Zombies)
13 Call of the Night [Girl Help Me] [Demo] (Zombies)
14 Out of the Day [Demo] (Zombies)
15 The Look of Love (Zombies)

https://www.imagenetz.de/bGWuS

For the cover art, I once again used the cover of a Zombies single from the time, "Gotta Get a Hold of Myself." Unfortunately, that cover had a lot of issues. Frankly, it looked cheap and quickly thrown together. So I made a lot of changes while keeping the overall look, such as totally changing the font and text, and swapping a black and white photo of the band with a color one.

10 comments:

  1. I shouted you out in my most recent fan album:
    https://thefilmediary.wordpress.com/2021/04/28/the-zombies-white-dandy-1967-album-edit/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the shout out. I just checked out your blog - nice stuff. It seems you're even more verbose and detail oriented than I am. ;) Are you going to keep going with fan edits for lots of other musical acts?

      Re: the Zombies, I'd be curious to get your opinion on what the good Zombies songs are after the 1960s, and after the Argent and Colin solo albums. I'm talking about the various Zombies reunion efforts. They put out some albums, but they're hit or miss, and suffer from production issues sometimes. Still, I have a feeling a really good album could be drawn from the best of that stuff, probably including from live versions. That's something on my "to do" list, but it's probably a long way off.

      Delete
    2. I would like to do more fan albums. There is one factor slowing me down. I don't want to include the good songs, I want to include every song ever. My Syd Barrett fan albums have some instrumentals as that's what he did a lot of! I started working on The Beach Boys a while ago, but I get stressed out due to how much there is.

      On The Zombies, I've been listening to solo stuff in order and am currently in the early 70's. I'd like to eventually listen to the very end. I really liked the new songs on RIP and was lukewarm on First Year and Argent self titled. Argent s/t had a few really good songs, though. I wanted to take all the Rod and Colin songs from a year and put them together, but I don't think that'd work at all. TLDR, I haven't heard any of the reunion efforts after RIP.

      Considering my goal of covering every song ever by an artist, I'm looking for suggestions if you have any that won't make my head fall off. lol.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I don't think combining the words of Rod and Colin in the early 1970s would work that well. Their styles diverged a lot during that time. But, like I said, later when they began working together again, there's some good new material then, plus sometimes they did versions of Argent songs and Colin solo songs, but done in more of a Zombies style. I suggest you focus on picking out the best of that. Their occasional reunion albums sometimes had bad production though, so the key may be finding live versions to get the very best.

      As for other bands, I don't know, that depends on what music you like the most. Only you know that.

      Delete
    4. That's of course true, but suggestions could be fun.

      Do you have a Discord account?

      Delete
    5. Discord account, no. As for suggestions, since you're into doing deep dives and collecting everything, I think artists from the 1960s and 1970s are the most interesting. Back then, you had albums, singles, and EPs, plus BBC recordings sometimes, plus more songs played live sometimes, plus often bootlegs of yet more stuff. Whereas things have tended to simplify as time passes to the point that sometimes these days you have artists that only put out one album every few years, and no B-sides or anything extra, nothing but the expected songs played in concert (with every concert on a tour exactly the same), etc... Very boring. Of course it isn't always that way, but that's the general trend.

      Delete
    6. That's true. I was thinking of doing the complete works of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and Eddie Cochran as they probably didn't have a ton of recordings.

      Delete
    7. Those are all good choices.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete