Friday, March 8, 2019

The Bangles - You Were On My Mind - Various Acoustic Songs (2000-2011)

I've finished posting all the Bangles' stray tracks album I've made. But I consider this as essential to any Bangles fan. It's them performing many of their best songs in the studio in a semi-acoustic style.

The Bangles reformed in 1999 after being broken up for about ten years. Since reuniting, they haven't caught the world on fire like they did the first time around, but they're just as musically talented. Unfortunately, key member Michael Steele left in 2005, turning the foursome into a threesome. But this is from before her departure.

The songs come from 2000 and 2003, but in terms of the music you can't notice the gap of three years. The first four songs are technically recorded in front of an audience, but with the clapping stripped away, you can't tell. The entire thing sounds like an "unplugged" show recorded in a studio, which means their excellent harmonies are on display.

Many of the songs are from their 2003 album "Doll Revolution," but I think those songs sound better here in this stripped-back form. They also do a cover of the 1960s folk rock hit "You Were On My Mind" which doesn't appear on any of their albums.

This album is 57 minutes long.

01 Eternal Flame (Bangles)
02 Ride the Ride (Bangles)
03 You Were on My Mind (Bangles)
04 Manic Monday (Bangles)
05 The Rain Song (Bangles)
06 Something that You Said (Bangles)
07 A Hazy Shade of Winter (Bangles)
08 Here Right Now (Bangles)
09 September Gurls (Bangles)
10 Stealing Rosemary (Bangles)
11 Tear Off Your Own Head [It's a Doll Revolution] (Bangles)
12 Between the Two (Bangles)
13 Through Your Eyes (Bangles)
14 What a Life (Bangles)
15 Anna Lee [Sweetheart of the Sun] (Bangles)
16 Let It Go (Bangles)
17 A Hazy Shade of Winter [Fully Acoustic Version] (Bangles)

https://www.imagenetz.de/erWDM

I'm not sure where or when the cover art photo comes from, but it seems certain it's from the early 2000s, before Steele left the band.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Paul:
    I'm sorry, you're probably sick of hearing from me by now. "Between The Two" seems to have been left off the playlist, although it was included in the download. Again, just wondering where it should fit in the playlist order. I admit I'm a tad OCD on these things. My apologies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all in favor of OCD - I want to be very accurate. I just fixed this one too.

      Delete