Sunday, March 31, 2019

Brinsley Schwarz - Got to Be Real - Non-Album Tracks (1970-1972)

Who or what the heck is "Brinsley Schwarz" you may ask. They're not a very well known band. But I'm big fan of Nick Lowe's career, especially his work both solo and as part of Rockpile in the late 1970s. I plan on posting a lot of that. But before I do that, I think it makes sense to move chronologically, starting with his role in Brinsley Schwarz.

"Brinsley Schwarz" is both the name of a band and one of the band members. But, much like "Manfred Mann," it's a bit odd that the band was named after him, because he wasn't the most important person in the band. He was a guitarist and did some songwriting and vocals, but most of the songwriting and lead vocals were done by Lowe. Brinsley Schwarz were one of the top "pub rock" bands in Britain in the 1970s, but that genre remained obscure outside of Britain, and they never had a hit anywhere, so they've remained pretty obscure until today. (They did record the first versions of the Nick Lowe originals "Cruel to Be Kind" and "(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" though.)

If you like Lowe's earlier rocking style, this is basically more of the same thing, and it's just as good. On their studio albums, they mostly did originals. These stray tracks, however, are nearly all cover versions. But that's fine, because they had a knack for picking good obscure material and making it their own.

01 She's Got to Be Real (Brinsley Schwarz)
02 Having a Party (Brinsley Schwarz)
03 I'm Gonna Make You Love Me (Brinsley Schwarz)
04 Homework (Brinsley Schwarz)
05 Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad (Brinsley Schwarz)
06 Midnight Train (Brinsley Schwarz)
07 It's Just My Way of Saying Thank You (Brinsley Schwarz)
08 Wonder Woman (Brinsley Schwarz)
09 I'm Ahead If I Can Quit While I'm Behind (Brinsley Schwarz)
10 Run Rudolph Run (Brinsley Schwarz)
11 Hypocrite (Brinsley Schwarz)
12 You Got Me Hummin' (Brinsley Schwarz)
13 Mama Told Me Not to Come (Brinsley Schwarz)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15904479/BrinsleyS_1970-1972_GttoBeReal_atse.zip.html


For the album cover, I used the cover of a Brinsley Schwarz bootleg, then changed the text.

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a fun listen, thanks. Hey, are you going to be doing a cover for this one? Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on making covers for all my albums (except ones that contain just one song or something like that). But I may not post them right away. In this case, I'm going to have to dig around to find a good photo of the band that isn't used for some other album already. If you have any good candidates please let me know, because I have another album by them to post and I currently don't have cover art for that one either.

      Delete
    2. I wish I had a good candidate for you, but I'm afraid I don't. I was just wondering if you were going to make one for this one as you pretty much always have the cover up when you post. That's why I asked. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  2. As an ex member of the group I must point out that even though I Ian Gomm (ME!) is singing and playing guitar on this compilation I am not mentioned ( even though I co-wrote Cruel To be Kind) nor am I in the group photo you chose to put up> I am deeply offended!!

    ReplyDelete