Wednesday, March 6, 2019

The Kinks - Did Ya - Non-Album Tracks (1986-1992)

The last years of the Kinks, the late 1980s and early 1990s, were not a good time for their music. Their albums were critically and commercially unsuccessful, and were a mere shadow of their great earlier works. But, in my opinion, that was due more to poor song selection and production choices. Ray and Dave Davies could still write very good songs, though admittedly they weren't at their peak in this era.

This is yet another stray tracks album. Even though these are supposedly the "leftovers," I'd argue that the songs here make up a stronger album than some Kinks albums at the time, such as "Think Visual" or "UK Jive." Replacing some of the weaker tracks on those albums with some of the stronger ones here could have resulted in much better albums.

Three of the songs (tracks 9, 10, and 11) come from a 1991 EP called "Did Ya." Two songs, tracks 4 and 5, come from the live album "Live: The Road," although one of them, "The Road," is actually a studio track. "Quiet Life" is from a movie soundtrack. Three more comes come from a Dave Davies archival album, "Fragile," and the last song comes from a different Dave Davies archival album. "Bright Lights" was a bonus track, and "The Million Pound Semidetached" comes from yet another archival album, "Waterloo Sunset."

One song here, "How Do I Get Close," actually comes from the studio album "UK Jive." But this is an unreleased version performed on a TV show that is an improvement on the album version, in my opinion.

Note that two songs here, "Did Ya" and "Look through Any Doorway," also appear on my revised version of the Kinks' last album, "Phobia." This is a different version of "Look through Any Doorway," so I suppose the duplication is okay. I think "Did Ya" better fits here, since it was released in 1991, two years before "Phobia," but it's included as an official "Phobia" bonus track, so I guess it can go there too.

The is the last of my Kinks stray tracks albums. But it isn't the last of Kinks stuff that I plan on posting, since they're one of my very favorite musical groups.

This album is 48 minutes long.

01 Quiet Life (Ray Davies)
02 Give Something Back (Dave Davies)
03 No More Mysteries (Dave Davies)
04 It [I Want It] (Kinks)
05 The Road (Kinks)
06 The Million Pound Semidetached (Kinks)
07 Bright Lights (Kinks)
08 Look through Any Doorway [Open Up Your Heart] [Demo] (Dave Davies)
09 Days [1991 EP Version] (Kinks)
10 New World (Kinks)
11 Did Ya (Kinks)
12 I've Got Your Number [Demo] (Dave Davies)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15485577/TKnks_1985-1992_DdYa_atse.zip.html

The cover is the exact cover of the 1991 "Did Ya" EP.

5 comments:

  1. Kinks are one of my favorites, too. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. They're my "grupo favorito" too, behind only the Beatles. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Paul, thanks very much for all the Kinks uploads. The link for this one is unavailable - I was wondering if you could post it again when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete