Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Larkin Poe - Vintage Cover Versions, 2014-2015

It's time for some more of my favorite current obscure group that should be widely known and celebrated, Larkin Poe. If you've missed my previous posts, they are a duo of sisters who sing great harmonies, write very good songs, and one of them adds killer slide guitar.

Starting in 2017, they've posted a series of occasional YouTube videos of their acoustic covers of classic songs, called "Tip O' the Hat." I've made three album compilations of these versions (with more hopefully coming if they keep posting them). But it turns out they did an identical thing back in 2014 and 2015. Only that time, they called it "Vintage Cover Videos."

One can still find a bunch of videos from this series posted on their YouTube channel. Unfortunately, a bunch of them have slipped into "private viewing mode" only, which means I can't access them. Luckily, I grabbed a bunch of them a couple of years ago, so I think I have most of them. If anyone knows how to get access to the private ones, please let me know.

They posted about one album's worth of songs, but due to the private ones I can't access, it's a short album. To make up for that, I looked around for other cover versions they did in 2014 or 2015 also done as just an acoustic duo instead of their full band, and I found four more songs. Adding those in, it makes for an album that's 39 minutes long.

On this album, you'll find covers from Michael Jackson to Bing Crosby, from the Arctic Monkeys to Sonny and Cher, from Elliott Smith to Leadbelly. I love their wide ranging taste in music, and how they manage to put their personal stamp on everything they do.

Here are the artists who did the originals and/or famous versions for each song:

01 Off the Wall - Michael Jackson
02 Time in a Bottle [Instrumental Version] - Jim Croce
03 Black Betty [Acappella Version] - Lead Belly / Ram Jam
04 Bang Bang [My Baby Shot Me Down] - Sonny & Cher
05 Do I Wanna Know - Arctic Monkeys
06 The Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
07 Take Me to Church - Hozier
08 Needle in the Hay - Elliott Smith
09 Take Me Back - Buddy & Julie Miller
10 Withered and Died - Richard & Linda Thompson
11 Wade in the Water - traditional / Ramsey Lewis Trio
12 Mele Kalikimaka - Bing Crosby & the Andrews Sisters
13 Beat It - Michael Jackson
14 Tirineni Tsitsiki - Lila Downs
13 American Girl - Tom Petty
14 Rich Girl - Hall & Oates
15 I Got You, Babe [Acappella Version] - Sonny & Cher

Here's the usual song list:

01 Off the Wall (Larkin Poe) (Larkin Poe)
02 Time in a Bottle [Instrumental Version] (Larkin Poe)
03 Black Betty [Acappella Version] (Larkin Poe)
04 Bang Bang [My Baby Shot Me Down] (Larkin Poe)
05 Do I Wanna Know (Larkin Poe)
06 The Sound of Silence (Larkin Poe)
07 Take Me to Church (Larkin Poe)
08 Needle in the Hay (Larkin Poe)
09 Take Me Back (Larkin Poe)
10 Withered and Died (Larkin Poe)
11 Wade in the Water (Larkin Poe)
12 Mele Kalikimaka (Larkin Poe)
13 Beat It (Larkin Poe)
14 Tirineni Tsitsiki (Larkin Poe)
15 American Girl (Larkin Poe)
16 Rich Girl (Larkin Poe)
17 I Got You, Babe [Acappella Version] (Larkin Poe)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15261968/LarkinP_2014-2015_VintageCovrVersions_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo is from a 2015 concert. That's Megan Lowell in front, and Rebecca Lowell in back.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Zippy is showing the link as private, could you re-upload, looking forward to hearing these. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. Weird. Nobody has ever complained of a private link before. I just tried downloading it and I didn't have any problem. Stats show a bunch of other people downloaded it without trouble. But just to be on the safe side, I redid the link right now, so try again.

      Delete
  2. I've just noticed other people posting about this on another site. Seems to be a UK issue with their site not your upload, sorry to have been a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I hope you find a way to work it out.

      Delete
  3. The Lord Knew What he was doing when he paired yall up,like keep on keeping on. Hippie girls,

    ReplyDelete