Saturday, June 16, 2018

The Rolling Stones - Going Down - Non-Album Tracks (1969)

Here's the next in a series of albums gathering all of the Rolling Stones' stray tracks. The last album covers 1968; this one covers 1969.

Just like 1968, the Stones had so many quality stray tracks from the year 1969 that there's enough for an entire album. And also like 1968, most of these are songs that still haven't been officially released, or only released on obscure albums. Of course, the number one hit single "Honk Tonk Women" is a big exception to this.

Also, I generally tried to avoid any sort of duplication with the songs on official albums, but also with songs on my other alternate albums. But this time I'm including the song "Memo from Turner" when I put it on the 1968 album too. The reason for that is because this version is significantly different from the other version. I think both versions are very much worth listening to. This is the one that was technically credited to Mick Jagger as a solo artist, and would be featured in the movie "Performance" a year later.

Three of the songs here are from the album "Jamming with Edward," which is kind of an oddity. It has most of the Stones on it, including Jagger singing the songs, but it also prominently features Ry Cooder and Nicky Hopkins, so it wasn't billed as a Stones album, even though the songs are all outtakes from Stones recording sessions. There's one song on there, "Blow with Ry," that I thought went on way too long (11 minutes), so I edited it down to six minutes.

Like the 1968 album I made, I think this is a really solid album, even though it's mostly obscurities and unreleased stuff. That's because, as I mentioned in a previous post, the Stones have held back nearly all of their 1960s material except for what got released at the time, due to a conflict with their record company, so they haven't done any bonus tracks or deluxe editions or box sets or the like (except for their material from 1972 or more recent, due to a different record company having the rights to that material).

"I'm Yours and I'm Hers" is a rare cover version the band played in concert in 1969. Unfortunately, the sound quality is only good enough for bonus track status.

This album is 45 minutes long, not counting the bonus track.

UPDATE: On January 28, 2023, I updated the mp3 download file. Previously, I had the song "The Sun Is Shining" as a bonus track only, due to poor sound quality. But I found a soundboard bootleg version that sounded much better, so I added it in with the other songs.

01 Honky Tonk Women (Rolling Stones)
02 Hillside Blues [I Don't Know the Reason Why] (Rolling Stones)
03 Memo from Turner (Mick Jagger)
04 The Sun Is Shining (Rolling Stones)
05 Blow with Ry [Edit] (Rolling Stones with Ry Cooder & Nicky Hopkins)
06 I Don't Know Why (Rolling Stones)
07 I'm Going Down (Rolling Stones)
08 Jiving Sister Fanny (Rolling Stones)
09 Highland Fling [Instrumental] (Rolling Stones with Ry Cooder & Nicky Hopkins)
10 Cocksucker Blues [Schoolboy Blues] (Rolling Stones)
11 It Hurts Me Too (Rolling Stones with Ry Cooder & Nicky Hopkins)

I'm Yours and I'm Hers (Rolling Stones)

https://www.imagenetz.de/m5DKy

The cover art is from the "Honky Tonk Women" single. I only made a few edits, especially changing the text.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward for the Sticky Fingers one. There are enough Exile song demos and outtakes to warrant 15 songs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, there is no companion album to Sticky Fingers! :( That's because the songs that didn't make it on that album made it on "Exile on Main Street." But I'll definitely have something to go with Exile.

      Delete