Tuesday, June 5, 2018

The Jam - Beat Surrender - Non-Album Tracks (1982)

Here's the last of three albums gathering up all of the Jam's stray band tracks. It covers just 1982, and reflects Paul Weller's growing interest in soul music, with about half of the tracks cover versions of famous soul songs.

I say "band tracks," because I also have albums I plan on posting eventually of the Jam doing band demos of songs on their other albums, as well as acoustic demos.

As I mentioned previously, the Jam has been thoroughly covered with a box set and deluxe or super deluxe versions of all their albums. Even so, this album has a nice unreleased rarity, a cover of "I Think You Got Your Fools Mixed Up" by Brenton Wood.

By the way, my general rule is to not include songs that are on other albums. "Precious" is on the Jam's 1982 album "The Gift." But the version of that song included here is two minutes longer, and in my opinion is much better.

01 Precious [12 Inch Version] (Jam)
02 The Bitterest Pill [I Ever Had to Swallow] (Jam)
03 The Great Depression (Jam)
04 I Got You [I Feel Good] (Jam)
05 Pity Poor Alfie - Fever (Jam)
06 A Solid Bond in Your Heart (Jam)
07 War (Jam)
08 Move On Up (Jam)
09 Stoned Out of My Mind (Jam)
10 Shopping (Jam)
11 I Think You Got Your Fools Mixed Up [Demo] (Jam)
12 Beat Surrender (Jam)

https://www.imagenetz.de/fnrRL

The album cover is just the cover to the "Beat Surrender" single, except I wiped out the names of the B-sides.

3 comments:

  1. I love Jam's cover of Brenton Wood "I Think You Got Your Fools Mixed Up". It's one of my favorite Jam demos and I can understand the reason why not was officially released. It was available on youtube some years ago for a very short time but very difficult to find; now it's here. A real gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was really surprised to find that, and to find how very obscure it was. I couldn't even find a FLAC or MP3 file of it, and had to convert it from a Spotify stream.

      Delete